Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How soon and How to Wash my Newly Wax Free Dreads for the First Time - Advice?

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

Hello :)

So I removed the wax from my hair on Sunday night (5 days ago), with pure white distilled vinegar soak and washing with dish soap. My dreads were started at a salon 8 Days ago, so I removed the wax on the 3rd day and started over wax free, natural method. Got most of the wax out, and have many dreads still intact from the salon hell, but now my hair is dreading along well. I have very long straight and fine hair. SO my question is:

I ordered some dread shampoo from the shopping section here on this site .. here is the link to it - http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=11&zenid=46d0dff4dd319b2533d34cfe2c290cbd

It is all natural and for new dreads, and again, I found it on this site, so I think it is a good product? My question is, is it too soon to wash my hair today? It is day 5 after the harsh wax removal washing on Sunday. So my dreads are 5 days old, and my scalp is a tad itchy. Just a tiny tiny bit. Too soon to wash it? And, with this product type, HOW should I wash it to best preserve my dreads.

Sorry to ramble. Thank you to all of you who've given me such great advice on here. You all are the reason I don't have wax in my hair anymore :) <3

THANK YOU!

updated by @sarah-weathers: 01/13/15 09:25:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

use a lil and with fingertips scrub the scalp..only the calp then rinse thru the dreads u dont gotta scrub the dreads themelves

its not too soon and they are the best dread shampoos there are

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

thank you Soaring Eagle (and P.S. i just found your post on your mixture for Super Clean dreads - I am going to try that next week).

One other quick question - I have 1 wooden bead in 1 dread due to a spot that needed some attention - Can that be still on my hair while I wash it? It is kinda stuck in there. It's holding down a damaged spot from the salon hell where I had to separate 2 dreads because they weren't separated right.

soaring eagle said:

use a lil and with fingertips scrub the scalp..only the calp then rinse thru the dreads u dont gotta scrub the dreads themelves

its not too soon and they are the best dread shampoos there are

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its fine as long as its not too long i had big glass beads in thst were like an inch and 1/2 or so long as well as a wood 1 that long and the inside never dried and got funky nasty if its likr 1/2 inch or so it woill dry fine

i never take beads out and thats the only issue i edeger had was with long ones trapping moisture inside

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

ok sounds good - yes my bead is less than a 1/2 inch. It is very small natural wood. Probably 1cm tall. thank you for the advice :) i'm looking forward to a clean head :)

soaring eagle said:

its fine as long as its not too long i had big glass beads in thst were like an inch and 1/2 or so long as well as a wood 1 that long and the inside never dried and got funky nasty if its likr 1/2 inch or so it woill dry fine

i never take beads out and thats the only issue i edeger had was with long ones trapping moisture inside

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

and as for drying, just air dry? it is not a sunny day here - very very humid - so outdoors won't help dry my hair. should i just blot with a towel and leave it to dry?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea shake o=it out then sit in front of a fan

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

will do :) thank you, as always, SE.