Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how often do you wash your locks?

Jesse Parker
@jesse-parker
13 years ago
57 posts
Just got to make sure they are completely dry between washes :-) i usually was once or twice a week

pelun said:
am i weird for washing them 5 times a week ? lol

updated by @jesse-parker: 07/23/15 03:42:18PM
Cage Free
@cage-free
13 years ago
41 posts
once every ten days or so
Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts
once a week. any longer than that and my scalp itches like crazy. it even wakes me up out of my sleep :( i use sulfur 8 medicated shampoo and baking soda acv rinse with tea tree oil
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
soooooo this thread got me looking up hair washing on google and i came across some interesting stuff. im not sure how credible it is though. btw i know some people hate labels(like myself) but for the sake of simplifying this i'll use labels. i saw a site comparing hair washing times between white people and black people in reference to hair type. it mentioned that in "white" hair it gets oily faster which causes people to wash more often and stop oil buildup and residue in their head. is there any truth to this, and does it go the same way for locks? one person even said they wash their hair twice a day every day.
Cage Free
@cage-free
13 years ago
41 posts
I don't think it can be that generalized. I only wash mine every ten days or so and it never really gets oily, I just don't like my scalp to feel dirty. My husband's hair starts to look oily within 36 hours after a wash. We're both light skinned and freckled. I have red hair, both his sisters have red hair. We use the same shampoo.
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
thanks for all the replies. before this i had just never heard of people wasing their hair 3-4 times a week, even without dreadlocks. i never thought it was neccessary to wash hair that often. i mean if feels great when you wash your hair but idk. i know people that get keep braids, and every two weeks they take out their braids, wash their hair, comb it, and then get braids again and repeat every two weeks. so they are going two weeks without washing their hair. i was hoping people didn't get self conscious and start saying they wash their hair often as not to get looked down on or looked at as dirty by others. i don't think anyone is though.
Vince Ferrer
@vince-ferrer
13 years ago
7 posts
when my hair starts smelling or itching i wash immediately. ends up being around 12 times a month, 13 on a leap year.
average joe
@average-joe
13 years ago
34 posts
oh okay. do you ever use like oils in between washings to keep your hair smelling good? every five days or so i use this wonder 8 oil because it smells great. i used to use it motr often but it ended up being too messy and didn't feel good. kemi oil also smells good too.

Vince Ferrer said:
when my hair starts smelling or itching i wash immediately. ends up being around 12 times a month, 13 on a leap year.
ClimberGirl
@climbergirl
13 years ago
6 posts
I was mine once every 2 days. sometimes 3 if I can stretch it. my hair gets oily quite quickly.
ClimberGirl
@climbergirl
13 years ago
6 posts
I think it's true! I mean, my hair before dreaded had to be washed daily (because I had fine hair curls) but also it got rediciulously oiiily.

NeedIRun said:
soooooo this thread got me looking up hair washing on google and i came across some interesting stuff. im not sure how credible it is though. btw i know some people hate labels(like myself) but for the sake of simplifying this i'll use labels. i saw a site comparing hair washing times between white people and black people in reference to hair type. it mentioned that in "white" hair it gets oily faster which causes people to wash more often and stop oil buildup and residue in their head. is there any truth to this, and does it go the same way for locks? one person even said they wash their hair twice a day every day.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form