dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tidying up dreads??

Becky Master
@becky-master
13 years ago
5 posts

Hi all,

I haven't posted for nearly a year - and to be honest I'm really struggling. I can't go out without my tam, I can't wear my tam to work so I'm struggling to scrape my dreads back into something that looks presentable, however they've shortented sooo much (14 inches to begin with, now around 5 inches!) it's virtually impossible now.

I was wondering whether it was possible to have dreads 'tidied up'? Mine are now a year old, some really loopy still, others fairly flat and not really 'dread' looking - but most of all loose hair everywhere - at the scalp, at the ends (I mean stray hairs sticking out of the already knotted dread end if that makes sense), and sticking out half way down the dreads.

I know many people are very much pro the natural route, but I'm becomming really demoralised, and really don't like the look of them at the moment.

Cheers,

Becky.

updated by @becky-master: 02/14/15 03:27:23AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Hi Becky! A picture would help...could you post one? I am nearing my year and my hair is alot like you are describing. I have stray hair here and there and half dreads and full dreads and LOTS of big bumps! It makes me crazy too and my hair has shrunk to nothing so it is hard to do alot with. I use some cute plastic headbands and some decorated bobby pins that have pretty flowers and feathers on them. It does help, especially on those days where you feel kind of ugly. Hang in there. I wouldn't suggest "tidying them up". Crochet is going to break alot of hairs and wax...well, yuck (but you know that). I find that other people don"t seem to notice near as much as you do. I get compliments on my little ornaments all the time...it takes the focus off of the messy, dreadie stuff. LOL <3
David Dade
@david-dade
13 years ago
39 posts
May be Im not the best one to give advice but you go through tough times with dreads. Im not sure if you can tidy them up....could you wear a wrap of some sort on the job? I know this prob doesnt help but try to tough it out they do get better it just takes time. sorry wasnt much help
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
pics!!!!!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i kind of know what your talking about. you get the weird undreaded strands of hair hanging from knotted ends. i've seen others on the boards mentioning cutting those strands off because they never fully suck into the dreads. also i've heard that you can weave stray hairs into the correctcorrespondingdread using a tapestry needle. i would look around on youtube and see what others are doing. i would stay away from a crochet hook though. i would really love to see pictures:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

step 1 take off the tam

step 2 go out holding your head high

step 3 receive lots of compliments

step 4 realize all your worry is over nothing your dsreads are perfect as they are

step 5 feed them love not disapointment

they will improve more and more with your improved attitudes towards them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Andelynn
@andelynn
13 years ago
50 posts

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but while I'm at work I keep my hair in a head-scarf - mainly to keep all the loose hairs out of my face but also to keep things relatively tidy while I'm on the job. I have not noticed it causing any problems with my dreads - except flattening them a bit. There are loads of beautiful scarves and head-wraps you can use and many creative ways to use them. SE - if it is not a good idea to keep a scarf on let me know - I do take it off when I'm home.

Good luck, Becky!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not ever ever cut any hairs or rub them that way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bene
@bene
13 years ago
35 posts

I totally agree with SE dreads tend to tighten up better if you leave them open as much as possible so that they can move and knott up freely in every direction.

but if you want to speed up the preoses a bit you can put a towel on youre pillow that can help the frizz and the loose hair to dread faster, though i would recomend using a towel that hgas more or less the coulour of youre hair.

if its still to slow for you you can take the loose hair strains and form kind of mini dreadlocks by tear and ripping them. This helps the loose hair to dread into bigger dreads more easily or if you separate them every now and then it can also form new dreads. alot of my thinn dreads where formed like that.

for the bumbs and loops if you dont like them or feel they look to messy i would recomend putting beads on the spots you want to look better (i personally love loops and bumps), this also can help if you feel that a dread is too flat.

but keep in mind that these methods can all cause harm to youre hair and it is probably better to be patient and dont do anything, but if you still want to do it be wise and dont overuse them especially withTnR the loose hair.

on the other side the thing with the towel is not that harmfull in my experience, i have done that for years and i havent noticed any damage by now

however keep it up and be patient and keep in mind that next year by this time you wil have marvelous dreads or even sooner.

greets bene

Becky Master
@becky-master
13 years ago
5 posts

Appologies for taking so long figuring out how to add photos! And thanks so much for all your encouragement. So this wasa monthafter I started my dreads 12 months ago (backcombing method).

This is my hair now (side view), sitting mainly just above shoulders and resembling something like a birds nest! I've done my best with the pics - but they still don't really show any detail.

From the back...

One of the shorter 'big clumps'

And stray hair. Sadly I can't wear a scarf or wrap to work - I work in a hospital, and there's a very strict uniform code. Soaring eagle - I really wish I had that much confidence! However, I live in a rural village where wearing a simple tie-dyed top causes heads to turn and people to talk! I guess if even I don't like my hair right now, I'm going to be really effected by others comments - however narrow minded they are!

Thanks to everyone though - your encouragement has helped me remember it's all worth it in the end!

updated by @becky-master: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form