Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair loss and dread killa...BaKing Soda and ACV

Edouard
@edouard
14 years ago
21 posts
Hi everyone,I've got my "dreadlocks" for 3 months now. I need to know what I did wrong.I'm not an expert in using BS and ACV coz I've used it only 4 or 5 times. To be quick, after working 2 days in construction, my hair was pretty dirty. I decided to do a deep cleaning.I soak my hair for 10 to 15 min in a bowl with a Baking Soda mix:- 6 cups of warm water- 6 tsp of baking soda- 4 or 5 drops of Tea tree oil- 8 drops of lavanda oil- 8 drop of rosemary oilThen I rinsed it well with cold water.Next I did my ACV mix:- 2 cups of water- 2 tsp of ACV- 2 drops of Tea tree oil- 4 drops of lavanda oil- 4 drops of rosemary oilI put the mix in a sprayer and sprayed it onto my scalp and hair and left it soak for 4 or 5 min.I finished by rinsing it with hot water.My problem is I almost got no more dreadlocks, the tightest are the only survivors and I lost a lot of hair... I am a bit worried. What happened? What is wrong in my mixes?Thanks.
updated by @edouard: 02/14/15 02:14:19AM
Vates
@vates
14 years ago
66 posts
cold water helps tighten them too from my experience
Edouard
@edouard
14 years ago
21 posts
Ok thanks I will try it. But what about my hair falling?It wasn't a couple of hair, I really lost a lot...I spoke to Matt on the chat and he told me that my hair loss can be the consequence of crocheting. I thought about it too but it seems to be too much broken hair for a simple crocheting. I used the crochet only two times in three months.

Knottysleeves said:
Ooops! That deep-clean soak is only for mature dreads. You also used way too much oils... young dreads can't handle that much oil.

Young dreads only need a simple baking soda mix (baking soda & water, and just a couple drops of oils occasionally if necessary) and leave it on for only a minute or so. It will clean just fine even if your hair's really dirty or dusty, no worries. Then a thorough rinse with plain water, then a rinse with just a splash of ACV in water (no oils!) left on for about 30 seconds, with a quick final lukewarm or cold rinse of plain water.
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts

Just guessing but I would say that the hair loss is maybe because of the oils that untangle your hair and the hairs that fell out are the ones that were in the dreads and fell out when your dreads came apart. We lose a lot of hair every day but with dreads the hair gets trapped in the dread. The hair that fell out is probably 3 months worth of normal hair loss all at once.
Edouard said:
Ok thanks I will try it. But what about my hair falling?
It wasn't a couple of hair, I really lost a lot...

I spoke to Matt on the chat and he told me that my hair loss can be the consequence of crocheting. I thought about it too but it seems to be too much broken hair for a simple crocheting. I used the crochet only two times in three months.

Knottysleeves said:
Ooops! That deep-clean soak is only for mature dreads. You also used way too much oils... young dreads can't handle that much oil.

Young dreads only need a simple baking soda mix (baking soda & water, and just a couple drops of oils occasionally if necessary) and leave it on for only a minute or so. It will clean just fine even if your hair's really dirty or dusty, no worries. Then a thorough rinse with plain water, then a rinse with just a splash of ACV in water (no oils!) left on for about 30 seconds, with a quick final lukewarm or cold rinse of plain water.
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts
just to clarifyyou shouldnt use ANY oils in your bs/acv until they are locked up properly?Ras
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
crocheting could totaly have caused that hair lossthe bs acv and oils shouldnt have caused that the mix was fine those were definately not all that much oilsim thinking that at 3 months they werent really well dreaded and were losse enough to come putthe bs/acv will make soft hair extra soft so might have helped it along some but i dont thinki that really would have caused it all to unravelmaybe scrubbin g or agressive towl drying mightalot of ppl use it on baby locks even when going naturalso im thinking that they were weaker then u thought and more damaged then u thought from the crochetu said u used it only twice was the 2nd time really recent?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Edouard
@edouard
14 years ago
21 posts
No the last time was a month ago or so. I stopped crocheting after talking with yo ;) hehe.Myt problem is that my hair dosn't want to lock up... aftr three month Im quite desapointed. They don't look like dreads... I decided to go natural and let them be a month ago and no much has happened since then.My hair is really thick and straight... bt if asian hair can lock up whymine doesn't?Life is hard hehe
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts
dude your 3 months ini am at a similar stage as you, just over 3 months,yes loads of it just looks like straight hair in clumps, most of my ends are just straight hair [up to an inch].but i say to myself, 3 months is nothing, if its still the same after 6-8months, then maybe do something about it

Edouard said:
No the last time was a month ago or so. I stopped crocheting after talking with yo ;) hehe.
Myt problem is that my hair dosn't want to lock up... aftr three month Im quite desapointed. They don't look like dreads... I decided to go natural and let them be a month ago and no much has happened since then.

My hair is really thick and straight... bt if asian hair can lock up whymine doesn't?

Life is hard hehe
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
the hair came apart because probably because of the oils and stuff.heres why you thought you "lost" a lot of hairyou shed about 100 strands a hair a day. you were dreaded for about 3 months (90 days)so you lost about 9000 strands of hair that day, which is just naturally shedding hair. its normal don't worry about it. lighten up on the oils a lil bit.
Edouard
@edouard
14 years ago
21 posts
Cool, thanks for the reply.

Kathleen Bryan said:
the hair came apart because probably because of the oils and stuff.

heres why you thought you "lost" a lot of hair

you shed about 100 strands a hair a day. you were dreaded for about 3 months (90 days)
so you lost about 9000 strands of hair that day, which is just naturally shedding hair. its normal don't worry about it. lighten up on the oils a lil bit.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form