Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Misunderstanding of loose roots maintenance? Help!

mea
@mea
14 years ago
23 posts
I've tried many techniques, but only the make-a-hole-in-the-root-and-then-push-it-through-it seemed to work. BUT! I don't quite understand something with this technique. Doesn't this stop your dreads in growing? I mean, doesn't this always like cut down the lengh that just grew?(sorry, I'm terrible at explaining things... :D )Please help me!
updated by @mea: 02/14/15 02:09:12AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
omg no never push a drewad through the gap in the roots that will make youir dreads breakthere is never any root maintenance needed leave the roots alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it stops thenm from dreading because u need that space at the roots to dread u need atleast 1/2 inch movement room but its normal to have 1-3 inches undreaded untill matureanything u do to the roots weakens the dread but the looping through the roots is the worse thing u can dojust leave the roots alone to dread on theyre ownall u should do is seperate so they dont grow together..nothing else at all

--
mea
@mea
14 years ago
23 posts
oh, i see. so the roots lock up? mine are quite new, and I heard that when they are still young, they won't lock up by them selfes. so is that wrong?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ofcourse thats wrong who told u thatlook i never did a thing to mine..nothing..they locked up finewhen people dread the natural way theyre hair dreads without effort right/so if hair will dread by doing nothing why do u think u need to do something to the roots/but u will have a space thats unlocked that is needed to lock its normal its healthyforcing the dread through a gap..thats not healthy at alland it prevents real dreading at the rootsalso u will and should have loose hairs around dreads at the scalp..perfectly normal and healthy those will become new dreads or join dreads when ready..again nothing needs to be donejust forget u have hair ignore em except to seperate em so they dont grow togetberthat is the only maintenance u should do if youir gonna do any at all

--
mea
@mea
14 years ago
23 posts
yep i reconsidered the situation and i've undone the roots that I've already done, so itll be fine now. its just anybody i asked they all said diferent tings . so thank you for your helpful anwsers! :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
modt ppl are clueless and learn what to do from other clueless ppl who did the same dumb thing just a week b4 and recomended iteverytime they find some new thing to do to theyre dresds they get all excited try it then recomend it to others way before thbey can see the dammage its done in the long runthats why ppl think wax and crochet is so greatthey get instant dreads so go on youtuvbe and blogs praising itafter just a day with dreads they act like an expert telling thousanfs of others how to dread the way they dreadedbut 3 months later theyre bald and never bother to tell anyone not to do the dumb shit they did

--
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
LOL@ make a hole in the root and push it through.... its called latching. and yea if done wrong it can make dreads thin or break em off.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
its called latching when they use a latch hook its called interlocking root flipping or even looping they change the name everytime its well known to be a bad ideathere is really no right way to do it its always bad yea there are worse ways to make sure the damage is as bad as it can get but even when done exactly right its such a bad idea theres still a good chance they will breakthe whole practice makes no sense at alland should never be done

Kathleen Bryan said:
LOL@ make a hole in the root and push it through.... its called latching. and yea if done wrong it can make dreads thin or break em off.

--
MountainWillow
@mountainwillow
14 years ago
141 posts
It looks like you got some good advice, just wanted to say I agree with everyone else, don't do that.. It isn't helpful. Leave them alone, let them do their thing! Good Luck!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form