Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Amount of times you should wash your dreads and the amount I want to wash them.

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
Just wash your hair on a regular basis. Over time start to wash your hair less often even if you just skip one day a week. As time continues on eventually get yourself to the point where you wash your hair 2 or 3 times a week.I gave myself a year to get to the point where I was washing my hair at least two or three times a week.Dreadlocks develop over time you have to be patient. Let your scalp readjust to needing to produce less oil over time also.
updated by @goldeneagle: 07/19/15 02:47:19AM
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Everyone's kinda covered everything already but why not throw my 2 cents in: your hair will gradually start to get less dirty as time goes by. I wash when my hair feels like it needs it, which anymore is once or twice every 2 weeks. I'm one that has to shower everyday, generally before bed, I just don't always need to wash my hair is all. So wash when you feel you need it. Easy as that.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Lemon oil is great for oil control and dandruff.
Marc Fisher
@marc-fisher
14 years ago
15 posts
Right so the last time I used shampoo to wash my hair was five to six days ago.Ive been spraying my hair with salt water whenever I can get hold of my mothers little spray gun thing (is there an actual name for these?)so like once every other day.No baking soda yet but that will change within the next week now that ive got some money again (Y)Couldnt find any thyme sadly :/and to dry my hair Ive been using a hair dryer. however this I think is the problem which im about to bring up now.My dreads arent forming, Theres no evidence that im aware of that they are even starting to form.What should I bee looking out for with my natural dreads?what evidence appears and when that they are begining to grow at any level?Is it due to the use of the hair dryer?
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I don't like using my blow dryer just because I think it makes my fuzzies pop out more then letting my hair air dry. Granted, those same fuzzies will be popping out as soon as I'm hit by a good wing outside, but letting them air dry just seems to keep them at bay a bit longer.Aside from the mild, but potentially damaging affects of all that heat on your hair so regularly, a blow dryer isn't going to prevent your hair from dreading. Movement is key to dread formation, so a blow dryer used on the cold setting should actually help out a bit. It just takes time, there are somethings you can do to help; such as beads, wraps, and wool tams.
Earthstudios
@earthstudios
14 years ago
108 posts
Hey man, I wash every day to every other day with shampoo and have no problems. I'm constantly crawling under cars or doing some sort of work that makes me dirty almost every day. But despite this Dreads will dread. I'm about 3 months in and they are getting nice and tight. So wash whenever you want just wash gently.
Marc Fisher
@marc-fisher
14 years ago
15 posts
right il start using the cold setting on the dryer then if the heats damaging my hair.I was gonna put beads in once they are formed.
The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
Hey marc, my hair is probably fairly similar to yours so ill tell u what mine is doing... first you will notice just a few hairs hanging together in a small group, then this will move up to a section of hair that looks kind of like spagetti. The reason for this is that your hairs have little shingles going down them that (when not flattened into submission with a comb) will hook onto surrounding hairs. This will be all that you notice for several months. This is the stage i am on, and i just split my first congos the other day. They were SUPER young, so they came out after sleeping on them and washing them the next day, but its a cycle man, the hair straightens out into those little spaghetties when you wash, then they dry for a couple days and funk back into those crazy shapes and you just hope for some loops and stuff to catch. My first baby dreads were almost like cotton balls in the back, but instead of being plush like cotton they were kinda krinkly - - hope this helps. Marc Fisher said:
Right so the last time I used shampoo to wash my hair was five to six days ago.

Ive been spraying my hair with salt water whenever I can get hold of my mothers little spray gun thing (is there an actual name for these?)
so like once every other day.

No baking soda yet but that will change within the next week now that ive got some money again (Y)

Couldnt find any thyme sadly :/

and to dry my hair Ive been using a hair dryer. however this I think is the problem which im about to bring up now.

My dreads arent forming, Theres no evidence that im aware of that they are even starting to form.
What should I bee looking out for with my natural dreads?
what evidence appears and when that they are begining to grow at any level?

Is it due to the use of the hair dryer?
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
14 years ago
34 posts
Wash your hair when it gets dirty. I mean DIRTY. If it's too clean it won't dread up.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
ummm yeah....hair needs to be clean to dread....dirty hair dreads MUCH slower!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form