Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Maturing Dreads?

goodvibes0719
@goodvibes0719
8 years ago
3 posts

Hey there. I have had my dreads for a year and a month now. My dreadlocks are STILL not mature. They still look messy and I still have dreads that look like I just dreaded them yesterday. I have a super long dread (it hasn't shrunk with the rest of them) that hasn't matured at all. And I've got quite a few that are flat because it's the sides that I sleep on.

Sometimes i just want to brush them out. I wear them up because they look still so messy down. Any advice? I've always read that dreads tend to be mature when a year is up. SO, is this normal? I'm Native American, and I've known many Elders or medicine men and women in my clan to have dreadlocks that look amazing, so it can't be my hair texture.

Thank you!

updated by @goodvibes0719: 02/03/18 07:29:46PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well wearing them up is preventing them from maturing!  let them look mesy down its the oly way to mature

when you say "looks like i dreaded them yesterday'  how were they dreaded?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
goodvibes0719
@goodvibes0719
8 years ago
3 posts

I will start wearig them down, then! And my husband did them for me the back combing method.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm i tried posting this twice ijn edge browser but didnt post so here goes again

your page says "natural shampoo"  what natural shampoo would that be?

if its not residue and conditioner free thats why they arent maturing, i recomend www.dreadlockshampoo.com liquid which has sea salt for faster dreading

and ofcourse wax prevents dreading so if any wax was used even once when starting, you need wax b gone to get it out

also what tribe we have a native american dreaders group but id love a na gallery maybe then organized into albums by tribe

all throughout history too i think its the muskogee that had such amazing dreads?

can't remember

--
goodvibes0719
@goodvibes0719
8 years ago
3 posts

I have a tingly peppermint shampoo from Trader Joes, but I used to get dread shampoo from a store on etsy, that was in the form of a soap bar. I will go buy some shampoo from the link you've provided!

I have never used wax, as when I researched before starting my dreads, I read bad things about it. So, wax has never touched my hair. I have palm rolled at the beginning, but never do that anymore because I also read that could go either way, and so I just leave them alone now, besides separating them when needed.

I am Cherokee and Blackfoot. But my most Native side is Cherokee. I belong to the Wolf clan.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@dreadlocks-forums
8 years ago
29,640 posts

osiyio

the woman who named me was seneca also wolf clan, 7th generation descendent of the clan mother so she was passed down all of the teachings that were in any way complete

cherokee must be 1 of the ohyahte's (don't know how to pluralize in cherokee and think thats actually lakota) that is still rather large by comparison cause i sure know alot of cherokee  we have a good number here in fact

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form