Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads coming undone.

LittlBirdi
@littlbirdi
9 years ago
1 posts

So I figured I'd make my own post about it, to get a better diagnostic. And I don't have enough time on my hands to sift through the plethora of posts.

I've been doing my s/o's hair since he wanted locs. He had them previously, and they looked good, but he said they weren't actually in as good as a condition as they looked. (Some broke off, they were actually quite dry, and a few kept trying to grow together) He didn't part his hair when he started them before, so I offered to do the parting and whatnot for him. I didn't know anything about dreads, and still don't know much, but I've been trying to research as much as I could to learn. But i'm pretty sure that where his are at.. well, it shouldn't be that way. 

He has 'ethnic' hair, and his coils are pretty tight, so we went with the comb twist method. (which worked fine, save from taking me a week due to his hair being *SO* thick, and me working almost all day) But the problem is.. it's been about a month since I finished them, and they've been coming apart. Not just little fly away hairs, or the ends flying about, and not even just the roots being loose and fluffy, but rather sections of hair, whole strands, completely coming undone and separating from the twists. I keep twisting them back in but it's agitating because I have to keep fixing the parts every time.
We used the same stuff in his hair that he used last time, he said it was for dreads, so I didn't question it. As I used it it did feel like it was slippery and didn't seem to do much but I figured maybe after being in there for a day it would work out. Today I did some research to find out why it was coming apart and I realized that the wax I used is petrolium based. Had I known that, I wouldn't have used it to begin with. (I've used petrolium enough for other things to know it wouldn't work.) He also hasn't been washing it because when they get wet, they come apart, and they did the same thing last time. And also, many people who gave him tips when he did them the first time said not to wash them for a while. I've been questioning that as well because it's been causing dandruff and that's bound to just stay stuck in them, and because of natural oils. And so I researched that as well, and /not/ to my surprise, I found that he actually needs to wash them regularly. So today I bought DreadHeadHQ's dread soap and their wax. Going to get him to wash them properly, and then I'm going to put the wax in. Crossing my fingers that I don't have to redo them all due to the washing.. We don't use rubber bands because they're a pain to put on and even more of a pain to take off because they're small. (He has at least 100 separate dreads, I counted 70 before i did the top of his head.) What's the best way to wash them to avoid it? :/ Should I just put in the new wax before washing? They're nice when they're all together.. Some people said using nylon stockings but most of them I see come from sights like aliexpress, wholesales, or cheap ebay accounts and i've always had bad expriences with those places. I'm assuming they're talking about wig caps? Cause that seems like the only thing that you can really wash them through.

Is there anything else that might be causing them to come undone? I feel like it's the "wax" (Murray's beeswax) we used, but maybe it's something else.

I don't know about this stuff, I barely even do anything with my own hair. (I seriously just wash and brush it everyday.) Am I going in the right direction now??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

send the dreadheadhq crap back! you do not ever want to use wax period wax is the number 1 dread killer and dreAdheadhq is a scam the shampoo is very toxic and causes dandruff

you need to remove the wax wax b gone from  www.dreadlockshampoo.com is the only way to get that wax out!

never ever put wax in dreads secondly dont keep retwisi ng tnhem...only wash them thats it they will get loose it will take months nd months but they will never dread with wax in tghem..evr

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

dont wash with anything on them  just you need to remove the wax and wash them mostly scrubbing just the scalp but  the wax needs to ccome out   the wAx is so evvil  its likely they will all come out while removing the wax cause wax is so dificult to remove it can survive a decade of washing if only used once .. the wzx b gone will get it out but its going to take some real scrubbing to get it all out

once the wax is gone  all you need to do to dread is wash and wait..its that simple

btw comb coils are more for the straighterless nappy hair  twists like 2 strand twists work best in kinkier nappier hair  just do not use products and do not retwist nretwisting causes balding

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

search the site for "dread wax"  "dread wax removal" and "dreadheadhq reviews"

you will see  thousands of cases of dreads having to be cut due to dread wax and dreadheadhq

--
garism
@nattyska
9 years ago
30 posts

Just to add. 

I'm not that familiar with the way you did the dreading but in terms of using wax, that's when I understand the terms. Been reading a lot of thread from this very impormative site and glad to learn from the start that dreading naturally is all you need is patience and appreciation. You don't need WAX!

Patience in terms of the changes that will happen along your journey and appreciation every changes to make your own journey and wonderful one. Everyone have different experiences and that's what this community is all about. (sorry lil off topic)

But yeah, as SE have said, you need to get rid of that wax as soon as possible, search the community for tips or just post another thread of your questions and information will be pouring down on you. 

Peace out!

updated by @nattyska: 09/09/15 02:42:43AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

before vicki created wax b gone people spent months and months boiling thier dreads   using lots of dawn dish soap and even  industrial strength but all natural disolving agents and  still wax was almost impossible to remove

it resultedd in so many shaved heads   but as long as you use the wax b gone, accept them coming loose and  looking wild for several months they will dread as long as you wash often and only with a quality all natural residue freeshampoo  now if you want to try the dreadlockshampoo (its the bhest)  for ethnic hair the liquid will dry it out too much so use the bars

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 09/09/15 03:27:58AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form