Dreadlocks Forums

retwisting locs dangers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

This is why we do not support retwisting locs

from the traction alopecia society

Traction alopecia is hair loss that occurs as a result of continuous pulling of the hair. Pulling may occur from hairstyles such as tight cornrows, plaits or braids with or without extensions, weaves, ponytails or even hair rollers or curlers. Natural hairstyles can also lead to traction alopecia as well. Long heavy locks and tightly coiled twists can lead to traction alopecia. The hair loss associated with traction alopecia typically occurs at the frontal hairline, at the temples or the area of the scalp above the ears. It may also occur at the posterior hairline.

Many times, the traction causing hairstyles are uncomfortable or painful. You may notice a headache or soreness of the scalp from the tight hairstyle. For several days you may be unable to move your forehead or temples after a tight hairstyle is first done. During the early stage of traction alopecia, red bumps, pus bumps or flaking of the scalp may be seen. You may also notice short broken hairs. If you continue the tight hairstyle the hair loss may be permanent so it is very important to stop the hairstyle as soon as possible and begin treatment."

this is an example of permenent damage caused by retwisting and notice that they are being retwisted in the photo despite the extreme damage already caused

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Sunkkew
@sunkkew
9 years ago
3 posts

I didnt know it can cause that kind of damage. This is great advice to anyone who want dreadlocks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

this is an extrenme example

but tyeres many on here you will see with really severe harm done

and pretty much 95%  that twist you can see some level of harm at least

the human head should have 10 hairs per square mm

when you see

this is what every salon out there pushes  as neat and tidy, and they try to make you ashamed if your not balding

many have 1/4-1/2 inch gaps, with not a single hair left alive

look at pretty much every african american locticians pages and this is what they advertise as neat

if you have hair between dreads and dreads as thyick as the sections they call them shitlocks and nasty and say  it looks like you havent bathed in a year (funny that you wash your shitlocks every 3 days but the salon recomends not even wetting them for a ywear then only wash when you make an appointment to retwist...often only a few times a year...the average "shitlocks" are washed more  times in a week, to month then loctician dreads in a year, yet they insist you look dirty and nasty if your not balding

here i'll google twisted salon locs and find a random example

all these were used to advertise loctician services

note, the last 1 is severe and shows a styling system to hide the balding, but the styling  continues to increase the balding, the only way to reverse it is alow them to be loose massage the scalp daily  and use herbs that stimulate bloodflow to the scalp, you can also take biotin etc  they must be loose as canbe for up to a year..or longer to see the hair regrow

some however are beyond hope without a transplant..and all are caused by salons  making you think traction alopecuia is 'neat'

--
marleyhead
@marleyhead
9 years ago
11 posts

i had a question @soaring-eagle! ok i really messed up lol so i gotta retwist right, but....prior to this, no wash. even though it came out good,  do u think it is a good idea for me to wash my hair even after the fact i got it retwisted cause she used this stuff called "murray's beeswax natural loc molding paste" its ok, but i feel its too thick, maybe a mix of something else would make it abit better but i just want an opinion lol

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

stop retwisting wash often a minimum of weekly but you will need wax b gone to get that crap out also demand a refund anyone that  would dare put wax in dreads does not belong in the dread business  wax is a dread killer and wax b gones the only way to remove wax

stop all retwisting and wash often  and stay away from salons

wax b gones from www.dreadlockshampoo.com

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 09/02/15 10:31:51AM
marleyhead
@marleyhead
9 years ago
11 posts

thanks!!!

DomDiddy
@domdiddy
8 years ago
1 posts

I'm with Old school, wash often and stay away from salons. Istarted mine natural and have just washed my hair often and mine look great!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

same here i see this damage from retwisting pretty much daily

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form