Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rectifying a bad bleach job

Mary
@mary
11 years ago
140 posts

So I did a strand test with two of my dreads. I mixed the bleach and developer and applied it to two dreads. I then covered it in aluminum foil. I waited 30 minutes and then had a peek. They were still black some with a couple of brown. The other dreadlock had this reverse ombre effect where only the top portion had bleached. I removed the foil and waited another 30 minutes. After removing the product I noticed that the locks had not really bleached. Anyone know what I did wrong? The blue flash bottle said not to add heat so I did not, but was I supposed to? I dyed my hair black a year ago with Bigen so could that have played a part? By the way I used 30 volume developer.

By the way I know most members don't approve of bleaching hair. So please don't tell me to sit in the sun with a bottle of lemon juice or just don't respond if it is not going to be useful advice. I have enclosed a webcam snapshot. Thanks in advance!

updated by @mary: 01/13/15 09:59:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

having never dyed mine at all im no expert but i would imagine its the dyes fault

from my understanding the bleach should act on the hairs pigment wich it probably did but theres a artificial dye overlaying that wich was unaltered (im guessing)

you may need something that strips away the previous dye?

in this case my answers probably the worse answer since i really am unsure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
11 years ago
140 posts

soaring eagle said:

having never dyed mine at all im no expert but i would imagine its the dyes fault

from my understanding the bleach should act on the hairs pigment wich it probably did but theres a artificial dye overlaying that wich was unaltered (im guessing)

you may need something that strips away the previous dye?

in this case my answers probably the worse answer since i really am unsure

But its good enough, thanks SE

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

we'll get ya a better answer soon i promice i see you posted this on yahoo answers too

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

anyone got a better answer?

--
Mary
@mary
11 years ago
140 posts

I guess not... I guess I have to try again but follow the directions to the T.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

I wish i knew... will be checking in to see what happens though. From what i can tell it looks like it turned it a lighter color. I guess i cant really see the problem to begin with. Have been interested in coloring a couple of mine too. good luck.

Becca Fitzgerald
@becca-fitzgerald
11 years ago
1 posts

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I've dyed my dreads lighter a few times. I don't use bleach, instead I use Loreal Technique Excellence for dark hair only with 40 developer. You won't get as much lift and it's a bit of a slower process, but its turned my daaark dark brown hair into a nice light brown with lovely blonde highlights. :) Each time it gets lighter and lighter and more blonde. I'm really hoping to go platinum someday. I get it at Sally Beauty or whatever the name is so hopefully there's one in your area. There's also awesome red shades available. Hope I helped! I know how big of a pain dying your own hair is, but very satisfying when you get good results. Best of luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form