Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks site's servers are partialy funded by mining BTC on hashflare
any additional profits are donated to Fredoms Wings International Soaring for people with disabilities

Dreadlocks Forums

Rectifying a bad bleach job

Mary
@mary
5 years ago
140 posts

So I did a strand test with two of my dreads. I mixed the bleach and developer and applied it to two dreads. I then covered it in aluminum foil. I waited 30 minutes and then had a peek. They were still black some with a couple of brown. The other dreadlock had this reverse ombre effect where only the top portion had bleached. I removed the foil and waited another 30 minutes. After removing the product I noticed that the locks had not really bleached. Anyone know what I did wrong? The blue flash bottle said not to add heat so I did not, but was I supposed to? I dyed my hair black a year ago with Bigen so could that have played a part? By the way I used 30 volume developer.

By the way I know most members don't approve of bleaching hair. So please don't tell me to sit in the sun with a bottle of lemon juice or just don't respond if it is not going to be useful advice. I have enclosed a webcam snapshot. Thanks in advance!

updated by @mary: 01/13/15 09:59:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
28,421 posts

having never dyed mine at all im no expert but i would imagine its the dyes fault

from my understanding the bleach should act on the hairs pigment wich it probably did but theres a artificial dye overlaying that wich was unaltered (im guessing)

you may need something that strips away the previous dye?

in this case my answers probably the worse answer since i really am unsure

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 9 feet long
Mary
@mary
5 years ago
140 posts

soaring eagle said:

having never dyed mine at all im no expert but i would imagine its the dyes fault

from my understanding the bleach should act on the hairs pigment wich it probably did but theres a artificial dye overlaying that wich was unaltered (im guessing)

you may need something that strips away the previous dye?

in this case my answers probably the worse answer since i really am unsure

But its good enough, thanks SE

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
28,421 posts

we'll get ya a better answer soon i promice i see you posted this on yahoo answers too

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
28,421 posts

anyone got a better answer?

--
Mary
@mary
5 years ago
140 posts

I guess not... I guess I have to try again but follow the directions to the T.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
5 years ago
163 posts

I wish i knew... will be checking in to see what happens though. From what i can tell it looks like it turned it a lighter color. I guess i cant really see the problem to begin with. Have been interested in coloring a couple of mine too. good luck.

Becca Fitzgerald
@becca-fitzgerald
5 years ago
1 posts

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I've dyed my dreads lighter a few times. I don't use bleach, instead I use Loreal Technique Excellence for dark hair only with 40 developer. You won't get as much lift and it's a bit of a slower process, but its turned my daaark dark brown hair into a nice light brown with lovely blonde highlights. :) Each time it gets lighter and lighter and more blonde. I'm really hoping to go platinum someday. I get it at Sally Beauty or whatever the name is so hopefully there's one in your area. There's also awesome red shades available. Hope I helped! I know how big of a pain dying your own hair is, but very satisfying when you get good results. Best of luck!

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form