Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Granny square headband, pattern and ideas

Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
I accidentally hijacked another thread with this (sorry Faelwynn), but since there was interest in the idea I thought I'd post the pattern here :-)I love granny squares <3 A few weeks ago I started making headbands, and while going through my stash I came across 3 squares I had made months ago for a blanket, before I found out that there was not enough yarn (something I inherited, so no chance of buying more). I just thought they would be perfect for a headband, so I joined them and did a few rows of sc on both sides of the band. Turned out well, I think :-) You can see it here:

And here:

It may be made with any type of yarn and any pattern for square that comes out in the right size. This is made of 3 squares in worsted weight yarn, but you could also use sport or DK and make larger motifs or maybe 2 row of small squares.The square above is from an old blanket my grandmother made. I also made this for my friend, based on the squares in a blanket her mother made for her while pregnant:

You can find TONS of fabulous patterns for squares online, or you can figure out the pattern from an existing piece, if you have something special to you :-) Here I'll post the pattern for the square in the first photo. I'll do it in crochet short hand, but please ask if you don't know how to read this :-) Square: With colour A, ch 5 and join with sl st to form a ring. Round 1: ch 3, 23 dc in ring, join with sl st to top of ch 3. 24 sts. End colour A. Round 2: With colour B, ch 3 in space between 2 dc and make 2 dc in same space, then ch 1. Skip next space and make 3 dc in next space, then ch 1. Continue in this manner around, making 12 groups of 3 dc separated by ch 1. Join last ch 1 to top of ch 3 with sl st. 48 sts (36 dc + 12 ch 1). End colour B.Round 3: *With colour A, ch 3 in any ch 1 space and make 5 dc in same space. Make 3 dc in each of the next two ch 1 spaces.* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, but make 6 dc instead of (ch 3, 5 dc). Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 48 sts.Round 4: Sl st to the next space between dc and ch 2 in this space, make 1 hdc in next. In the following space, which should be in the centre of the group of 6 dc, make 3 hdc. Continue in this manner around and join with sl st to top of ch 2. 56 sts. Bind off and weave all ends.Note: I made 2 squares with above colour use, and the second with reverse use of colour, and then did round 5 in colour B instead of A, so they all had the same colour in the last round. This to make the joining and edging look nicer :-)I joined with colour B. From the front, I did 1 row of sc on one side of a square and turned. I then placed it on top of another square, right sides facing each other, and did sc through both loops of both squares. This join sticks out a bit on the wrong side of the work. After joining all the squares, I added 2 rounds of sc on each side of the band. There are many ways to join squares - I like this one because it looks flat from the right side.If your squares are just a bit too small to make a fitting headband, you can just add more rows when joining them. Also, you can add more rows on the edges of the band, if you want it to be higher and more like a tube.I think that's it! Please ask if something is completely muddled up :-) And if you need ideas for motifs, I have loads of links.
updated by @sissemor: 02/14/15 03:18:29AM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
No no no! Don't apologize! This is sooo wonderful! I'll be making one of these in my spare time for sure...I love the square pattern for the second square pictured!
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
Thank you :-)Yes, the square from my friend's baby blanket is wonderful! Can you see the pattern clearly from the picture, or should I post it?

Faelwynn said:
No no no! Don't apologize! This is sooo wonderful! I'll be making one of these in my spare time for sure...I love the square pattern for the second square pictured!
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i would love to know the pattern for the blue/yellow headband. i know how to crochet and i can follow a pattern but i've never made a granny square before. this looks so fun!

Sissemor said:
Thank you :-)

Yes, the square from my friend's baby blanket is wonderful! Can you see the pattern clearly from the picture, or should I post it?

Faelwynn said:
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
Of course :-) I'll do it in short hand, but please ask if something is unclear!Hanne's square:With colour A, ch 4 and sl st to the first ch to form a ring.Round 1: ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 3. *3 dc in ring, ch 3* 3 times. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 12 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. End colour A.Round 2: With colour B, ch 3 in any ch 3 space, then 9 dc. In the following ch 3 spaces, make 10 dc in each. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 40 dc. End colour B.Round 3: With colour C, find centre of 10 dc and ch 3. 1 dc in each st across 9 times, then ch 3. Continue in this manner around the square, and join with sl st to top of ch 3. 40 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces.Round 4: Ch 3, 1 dc in each of the next 9 sts. In ch 3 space: 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc. Continue in this manner around the square, and join with sl st to top of ch 3. 64 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. End colour C.Round 5: With colour D, ch 3 in any ch 3 corner space. 1 dc in each of the next 15 sts. In the next ch 3 space: 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc. Continue in this manner around the square. 88 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. Bind off and weave ends.I joined these in the same manner as the one above and did 2 rounds of dc on each side of the band.I just want to show you a few of my favourite squares: http://yarncrazy.blogspot.com/2009/05/mandala.html (she makes sooo many gorgeous squares)http://silja-devine.com/?p=24
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
http://yarncrazy.blogspot.com/2009/05/waldos-puzzle.html That was one of my favorites from her blog! It looks soo much like celtic knotwork! I'll be trying out a number of her squares for a headband. My dreads aren't quite long enough to fold into a headband (sadly T-T) but it'd still be useful for those days at work... not to mention fun as all get out!
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
Wow!! Hadn't seen that one, it's amazing!My dreads are shrinking rapidly so soon won't be long enough for an updo in a headband, but it still looks nice, I think :-)

Faelwynn said:
http://yarncrazy.blogspot.com/2009/05/waldos-puzzle.html

That was one of my favorites from her blog! It looks soo much like celtic knotwork! I'll be trying out a number of her squares for a headband. My dreads aren't quite long enough to fold into a headband (sadly T-T) but it'd still be useful for those days at work... not to mention fun as all get out!
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
Thank You!! can i ask what weight yarn you used for the blue/yellow one? i'm thinking it's sport weight.

Sissemor said:
Of course :-) I'll do it in short hand, but please ask if something is unclear!

Hanne's square:
With colour A, ch 4 and sl st to the first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 3. *3 dc in ring, ch 3* 3 times. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 12 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. End colour A.
Round 2: With colour B, ch 3 in any ch 3 space, then 9 dc. In the following ch 3 spaces, make 10 dc in each. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. 40 dc. End colour B.
Round 3: With colour C, find centre of 10 dc and ch 3. 1 dc in each st across 9 times, then ch 3. Continue in this manner around the square, and join with sl st to top of ch 3. 40 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces.
Round 4: Ch 3, 1 dc in each of the next 9 sts. In ch 3 space: 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc. Continue in this manner around the square, and join with sl st to top of ch 3. 64 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. End colour C.
Round 5: With colour D, ch 3 in any ch 3 corner space. 1 dc in each of the next 15 sts. In the next ch 3 space: 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc. Continue in this manner around the square. 88 dc, 4 ch 3 spaces. Bind off and weave ends.

I joined these in the same manner as the one above and did 2 rounds of dc on each side of the band.

I just want to show you a few of my favourite squares:
http://yarncrazy.blogspot.com/2009/05/mandala.html (she makes sooo many gorgeous squares)
http://silja-devine.com/?p=24
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
It's worsted :-) But you could use what ever yarn you like. This one is wool, and the first one is cotton. The cotton does stretch a bit too much, I think, so wool or acrylic would be great.

Heather said:
Thank You!! can i ask what weight yarn you used for the blue/yellow one? i'm thinking it's sport weight.

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
perfect! thanks so much:)

Sissemor said:
It's worsted :-) But you could use what ever yarn you like. This one is wool, and the first one is cotton. The cotton does stretch a bit too much, I think, so wool or acrylic would be great.

Heather said:

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form