Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks site's servers are partialy funded by mining BTC on hashflare
any additional profits are donated to Fredoms Wings International Soaring for people with disabilities

Dreadlocks Forums

When can i start decorating?

dizzy
@dizzy
5 years ago
21 posts

Hello, i apologise ahead of time if there's already a topic about this but i looked without finding any results.

Anyhow, i'm only a couple days into natural dreading but my hair is sectioning very quickly and knotting up! I was wondering when i'll probably be able to start wearing beads, hair wraps, charms etc. in my dreads. Right now they're basically just the width of yarn but i have a feeling they'll thicken up fast.

I know it varies from person to person, but could someone give a rough estimate?

Thanks in advance :)

PS attached is a photo of how far my dreads are already.

updated by @dizzy: 01/13/15 09:54:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
28,419 posts

i started by putting wraps n beads in straight hair

so u can at any time..but

heres a few things to remember

dreads fatten up..beads dont

wraps dont

when u wrap a dread too young (x pattern wrap may flex enough to not be as bad not surw tho) when u wrap a dread it keeps that real thin while the roots can get 4 times fatter in months

a bead will leave a thin spot where the bead gets stuck with thick area above and below

if u take em out move em around etc its not a big deal

u can decorate anytime but remember what your dreads are doing and you'll know what to do

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 9 feet long
dizzy
@dizzy
5 years ago
21 posts

Thanks, i'll keep what you've said in mind before doing any of it.

soaring eagle said:

i started by putting wraps n beads in straight hair

so u can at any time..but

heres a few things to remember

dreads fatten up..beads dont

wraps dont

when u wrap a dread too young (x pattern wrap may flex enough to not be as bad not surw tho) when u wrap a dread it keeps that real thin while the roots can get 4 times fatter in months

a bead will leave a thin spot where the bead gets stuck with thick area above and below

if u take em out move em around etc its not a big deal

u can decorate anytime but remember what your dreads are doing and you'll know what to do

Sunflower
@sunflower
5 years ago
95 posts

You can straight away, I have a hair wrap which was made even before I began my locks (so the wrap is now around a year old) and the hair which grows just dreads up :) I also had beads straight away in, and some fell out but it didn't really bother me. I do have 2 beads which are permanently stuck in there (the middle/bottom of my locks curl up and go crazy so are much thicker there) and so they cant be removed but its also part of the beauty :) I prefer having feathers or shells in my hair attached with string, so it can always be cut out if you dont want it anymore

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
5 years ago
76 posts
Im not an expert or anything but i hear that the beads can get "eaten" i guess by the maturing dreads. So the only way u can get them out (if u want that is) is to cut through and get it. dont recomend doing that because the hair will get weaker and weaker as a result unhealthy and wilting dreads.Hope this will helpPeace from Turkey!
amethyst777
@amethyst777
5 years ago
95 posts

When I started I put a few beads in places that wouldn't stay separated and they became permanent. I kept a couple, but since I used wooden beads, I just squeezed them with a pair of pliers and got them off pretty easily. So decorate away, just maybe use something that can be broken off if you decide you don't want it anymore.
I did a wrap with embroidery thread, and it almost got eaten, it was way harder to get out than the beads. So, that's my experience :)
Good luck!

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form