Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How many guys have dread beads?

Chris Mora
@chris-mora
12 years ago
41 posts

i have 20 or so i think.. i dont keep track. Definitely for men as well.

updated by @chris-mora: 07/23/15 04:12:18AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. I like that. A wlaking xmas tree. My girlfriend, when she had locks, had so much stuff in them she called it her toy box

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I do the same thing. But it's really hard for me to find beads at this point. Not many people make bead with 1/2 inch wide holes. Most are around 1/4 inch. I always keep my eye out though. Plus it's nicer to actually get to talk to the artist personally

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

guys can definitely wear beads, too! i can't wait until i can wear some but most of my hair has big zigzags on the ends so beads won't go on yet:(

Opal Olyn
@opal-olyn
12 years ago
10 posts

I've been natural for four weeks now, and almost all of my hair has already sectioned itself into babies that are about 1" square at the root, but I can easily fit beads with 1/4" holes all the way up to the root. I'm assuming these are ok to use for now to cut down on my time spent separating almost daily as long as they can still move up and down freely. I will definitely move up to larger diameter beads as my locks mature and thicken, but I'm looking for reassurance and/or guidance.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

As they mature, they will eventually take on the size of the roots, but when they are younger they are usually thinner. Don't worry about it. My sections are about 2-3 inches in some places. I like them like that. Not all of them are than big. Only 3-4. And the tips are not nearly that big. The reason they seem thinner at the root right now is that the hair is still straight and not a tangled mess. As it tangles and mats it'll thicken up. Just be patient

Opal Olyn
@opal-olyn
12 years ago
10 posts

Very wise, thank you, Baba! I am patient and loving every day. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to strangle them or stunt their growth ;)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The only thing I see possibly happening is that if you leave them in and forget about them, they might, might, end up having hairs tangle around them and get a little stuck. It won't hurt your locks, but you might get tired of that particular bead. I'd check it every once in a while to make sure it can still move around. it's not that big a deal, but I know I get sick of some beads sometimes and want a change. But I have fatter locks so it's hard to find locks that my bead fit on. I only have 3 or 4 locks right now that are thin enough for any of my beads. If I want a new bead, I have to replace one that's already there

Opal Olyn
@opal-olyn
12 years ago
10 posts

Awesome, that sounds fair. Like I said, I intend these beads to be temporary, like braces or training wheels :) I'll switch it up and size up when they're beginning to outgrow and use the smaller ones as a bracelet or some other body adornment.

Reppyboyo
@reppyboyo
12 years ago
26 posts

I want to put beads in my hair but so far my dreads are not thick enough for the glass ones I have.

Go for it, its not feminine.
Plus I find the ladies love it.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form