dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread beads (ideas and suggestions!)

GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts

Hello!

I am going to start my own small business selling homemade stuffs soon, and I am hoping to make some dread beads to sell. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for suggestions or good materials?

updated by @gingerdreads: 02/14/15 03:28:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

set up your shop here https://shops.dreadlockssite.com/

wood clay bone antler plastic carved stone blown gla

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raych'll
@raychll
13 years ago
22 posts
I've made a few beads outta that Fimo clay. I found it on sale for super cheap and just played around with it. It's not very messy, its fun, bakes in 30 minutes, available in all kinds of colors, & easy to create funky, one of a kind beads. Hope this helps!
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I use the polymer clay "sculpty" or something like that it's easy and depending on how many or how thick it cooks in like 15-20 mins! stone, antler, bone, wood, shell, are good, wire with beads, wire without beads you can make coils outta the wire. There are many ways to do beads!
Nikki5
@nikki5
13 years ago
30 posts
A personal tip-- I like to coat the clay beads I've made with a clear top coat. Sculpty makes some and it kinda gives your work that "finished" professional look. Simply paint it on after you bake it and you're good to go!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts
Working with antler would be cool, but I'm still learning to work with wood! :)

soaring eagle said:

set up your shop here https://shops.dreadlockssite.com/

wood clay bone antler plastic carved stone blown gla

GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts
Thanks! Ive never used fimo, but I have used sculpey to make beads for a necklace before :)

Raych'll said:
I've made a few beads outta that Fimo clay. I found it on sale for super cheap and just played around with it. It's not very messy, its fun, bakes in 30 minutes, available in all kinds of colors, & easy to create funky, one of a kind beads. Hope this helps!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts
Very cool, thanks for the advice! I've made ones like that for a friend a couple years ago when she did her dreads :)

mylene lrx said:
i've maid dreads with plastic clay, it just a little bit more expensive that fimo, but i think it is stronger, and best colors quality. easy to play with and to bake too, maybe even easier that fimo.
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts
Yeah! I like working with lots of different materials, I'm excited to start working with wire next! :)

Shanxon Lemasters said:
I use the polymer clay "sculpty" or something like that it's easy and depending on how many or how thick it cooks in like 15-20 mins! stone, antler, bone, wood, shell, are good, wire with beads, wire without beads you can make coils outta the wire. There are many ways to do beads!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
13 years ago
17 posts
Thanks! I've been researching natural varnishes and finishes. I have used the scupley glaze before, and you're right, it really does give it a certain finished quality!

Nikki said:
A personal tip-- I like to coat the clay beads I've made with a clear top coat. Sculpty makes some and it kinda gives your work that "finished" professional look. Simply paint it on after you bake it and you're good to go!
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form