Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks site's servers are partialy funded by mining BTC on hashflare
any additional profits are donated to Fredoms Wings International Soaring for people with disabilities

Dreadlocks Forums

Dread beads (ideas and suggestions!)

GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts

Hello!

I am going to start my own small business selling homemade stuffs soon, and I am hoping to make some dread beads to sell. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for suggestions or good materials?

updated by @gingerdreads: 02/14/15 03:28:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
28,421 posts

set up your shop here https://shops.dreadlockssite.com/

wood clay bone antler plastic carved stone blown gla

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 9 feet long
Raych'll
@raychll
7 years ago
22 posts
I've made a few beads outta that Fimo clay. I found it on sale for super cheap and just played around with it. It's not very messy, its fun, bakes in 30 minutes, available in all kinds of colors, & easy to create funky, one of a kind beads. Hope this helps!
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
7 years ago
411 posts
I use the polymer clay "sculpty" or something like that it's easy and depending on how many or how thick it cooks in like 15-20 mins! stone, antler, bone, wood, shell, are good, wire with beads, wire without beads you can make coils outta the wire. There are many ways to do beads!
Nikki5
@nikki5
7 years ago
30 posts
A personal tip-- I like to coat the clay beads I've made with a clear top coat. Sculpty makes some and it kinda gives your work that "finished" professional look. Simply paint it on after you bake it and you're good to go!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts
Working with antler would be cool, but I'm still learning to work with wood! :)

soaring eagle said:

set up your shop here https://shops.dreadlockssite.com/

wood clay bone antler plastic carved stone blown gla

GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts
Thanks! Ive never used fimo, but I have used sculpey to make beads for a necklace before :)

Raych'll said:
I've made a few beads outta that Fimo clay. I found it on sale for super cheap and just played around with it. It's not very messy, its fun, bakes in 30 minutes, available in all kinds of colors, & easy to create funky, one of a kind beads. Hope this helps!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts
Very cool, thanks for the advice! I've made ones like that for a friend a couple years ago when she did her dreads :)

mylene lrx said:
i've maid dreads with plastic clay, it just a little bit more expensive that fimo, but i think it is stronger, and best colors quality. easy to play with and to bake too, maybe even easier that fimo.
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts
Yeah! I like working with lots of different materials, I'm excited to start working with wire next! :)

Shanxon Lemasters said:
I use the polymer clay "sculpty" or something like that it's easy and depending on how many or how thick it cooks in like 15-20 mins! stone, antler, bone, wood, shell, are good, wire with beads, wire without beads you can make coils outta the wire. There are many ways to do beads!
GingerDreads
@gingerdreads
7 years ago
17 posts
Thanks! I've been researching natural varnishes and finishes. I have used the scupley glaze before, and you're right, it really does give it a certain finished quality!

Nikki said:
A personal tip-- I like to coat the clay beads I've made with a clear top coat. Sculpty makes some and it kinda gives your work that "finished" professional look. Simply paint it on after you bake it and you're good to go!
 / 3

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form