Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Knotted Dreadlock Wraps - How Do You Make Them?

Jessica Faye ૐ
@jessica-faye
13 years ago
2 posts

Hey. What kind of thread is it that everyone uses to wrap around their dreads ? Is it embroidery thread? And how do you get it to stay? ;)

updated by @jessica-faye: 02/14/15 11:08:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u do not wasnna sew em in

its embroidery thread i=or ..hemp

theres 2 wauys

1 spreeed wraps

tie the threads ariung the roots lay all colors but cutrrent along the dread wrap curren color around and around till u switch colors simple but falls apart quickly (weeks to a couple months)

fancy macran=me knotted ones this takes more time cause yu do fancy macreme kknotted wraps these are way more decoratived and lasts years even (hemp ones can last 5 or more years)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
Is there a good link to a demo of Thd knotted wraps? I've had no luck on YouTube.

soaringeagle said:

u do not wasnna sew em in

its embroidery thread i=or ..hemp

theres 2 wauys

1 spreeed wraps

tie the threads ariung the roots lay all colors but cutrrent along the dread wrap curren color around and around till u switch colors simple but falls apart quickly (weeks to a couple months)

fancy macran=me knotted ones this takes more time cause yu do fancy macreme kknotted wraps these are way more decoratived and lasts years even (hemp ones can last 5 or more years)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i had asked someone to post 1 on here

i can explain a couple very simple ones

i havent done it in years

but oh

if u can find a vid on making "freindship bracelets" its the same concepts applied to hair

ok i found dozens of vids showing the basic knotting but theyd need to be addapted to hair wraps because of how thayre done

but u can do like spiral ridges doule spitral ridges ..straight ridges alternatuinfg colors with them to get a striped effect etc

you ever seen macrame plant hangers that have those spiraled ropes suportring the plant hanger basket? thats the sorta thing i mean

--
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
I will look for that, and see if I can figure out how to do it around the dread. It would be great if somebody would put up a good one!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ask pippie im betting she knows how and can make a vid

there was a guy who posted his he did in hemp just a week or 3 ago he did a great job just wish he did a vid

--
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

most people use hemp or embroidery thread. basically you would tie the thread at the root of the dread and then you would do a criss cross pattern all the way down the hair and knot off at the end. you could also completely wrap the hair using basic macrame knots like a friendship bracelet. this would completely cover the dread. here's a couple videos i found on you tube that will give you an idea.

this one is a friendship bracelet tutorial but it shows you how the wrapping/knotting is done.

hth:)

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts
I always use plain old acrylic yarn if I feel like putting in a wrap. Then again, I'm really wishy-washy when it comes to decoration (or lack thereof) and find that the acrylic is easiest to take out regardless of how long you have it in. Hemp is just a bit too long term for me, and I'd much rather use it in making macram.
Jessica Faye ૐ
@jessica-faye
13 years ago
2 posts
Thanks everyone !!! ;)
Heather Frey
@heather-frey
13 years ago
1 posts
At the moment there are no videos made for this but I was looking for some. I personally am teaching myself and will be making a video shortly. I used embroidery thread and tied it at the top of my dread and just literally wrapped it semi tight around the dread then tied it off and cut the end. I am also working on macrame ideas as well. I hope this helps but it is really VERY simple. (:
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form