Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Have problems with your dreads and helmets?

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
SO funny you mentioned this! I tried my helmet on a few days ago and I couldn't even get it halfway '] I'm selling my bike, but that's a really great tip if I'm a passenger...thanks!
updated by @exalthimx7: 07/22/15 06:14:22AM
Zynobek
@zynobek
13 years ago
21 posts

Thanks Kristina :-}

Great idea...

I'm going to checkout some local fabric stores and see what I can find in stretchy material.

Flying dreads, absolutely!!! But if they get any longer, I may just get them caught up in the rear tire...Ouch...LOL

Z

Kristina P said:

I have somestretchy bandanas that are one piece circular, they are awesome. Zynobek, i have visions of seeing you vrooming down thestreetwith your dreads flying!
Zynobek
@zynobek
13 years ago
21 posts

That would be great, since the only biker dreadies I see are during Bike Week and Biketober Fest in Daytona Beach.

Matted Dew said:

HELL YAH! somebody should start up a dready motorcycle group on here!!!

Zynobek
@zynobek
13 years ago
21 posts
Thanks for the links.Yes ma'am, I'm a 44 year old dreadloc'd female.I've always wanted to ride a speed bike, but never had the nerve.I'm glad I finally did it...I'm loving it!!!

Kristina P said:

fabric stores don't have them. i had to find them online, here are some links:

http://www.schampa.com/Schampa_Tube_Multi_Wear_Headwear_p/tube.htm

http://backwoodsservice.com/du_rags_bandanas_neckface_shields/face_...

http://www.rei.com/product/691367/buff-original-buff?s_kwcid=TC|130...

http://www.planetbuff.com/Original-Buff

or ebay or amazon.

OMG, and you are female! I love that, dreads and motorbike, sweet!
Zynobek said:

Thanks Kristina :-}

Great idea...

I'm going to checkout some local fabric stores and see what I can find in stretchy material.

Flying dreads, absolutely!!! But if they get any longer, I may just get them caught up in the rear tire...Ouch...LOL

Z

Kristina P said:

I have somestretchy bandanas that are one piece circular, they are awesome. Zynobek, i have visions of seeing you vrooming down thestreetwith your dreads flying!
Zynobek
@zynobek
13 years ago
21 posts

Thanks Heather & Kristina P.

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Awesome, man! Thanks for the advice! (even though its been over a year)

I hope your dreads are flapping in the wind by now!

If you are still an active member, or in case anyone else visits this post, it has been suggested to me to wear a thin wool cap under a helmet to help promote the knotting at the roots, and to keep the locks from unraveling when pulling the helmet off. I plan on trying both methods, since I try to take my bike everywhere I go, so ill try to post an update when Ive experimented a bit.

After reading through all the replies, I think I should also give the satin lining a try as well!

Oh, and I've been riding about 4 years, have had a Lifan 110, '82 Honda GL500 Silverwing, '97 Kawa Vilcan, '74 Honda CB740, and have been riding my Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic for almost a year now. Love my big beefy cruiser!

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Hey whattup ya'll, i been riding for about 4 yrs, and i just use a wave cap, whihc is really a glorified panty hose with an elastic on it. it fits snug around my forehead, i tuck the side dreads behind my ear, and let the back ones hand out of the helmet. Its very thin and breathable, i get them at cvs or any pharmacy's hair section for $ 1.89 for a 2 pack. You can put your helmet on any way you want, and it doesnt pull on your dreads at all, and when i take my helmet off, i left with the chin guard first, as if i was taking off a hat in the direction that my hair grows. That way if the wave cap slips off( which almost never happens) it wont damage your dreads and usually it falls inside the helmet.

I ride a SuperMario themed black/white/red with yellow fireballs Yamaha R6 with a dyno jet kit.

Stephen Wondal
@stephen-wondal
12 years ago
7 posts

thanks for the input, brother.

i wear helmet like almost everyday for an hour, at least, round trip to work and home. and i got flat dreads because of it. :p i should get a xxl-size helmet soon.

Hans Criteanu
@hans-criteanu
12 years ago
32 posts

Before I had dreads, I wore a medium or small helmet (for snowboarding). After 2 years of neglect, I had to size up to an XL. My merino wool Buff is incredibly comfortable underneath. It pulls my dreads back out of my face, and it is my go-to for a variety of situations. Awesome product - HIGHLY recommended.

www.buffusa.com

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form