Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

feathers

Nora Emilia
@nora-emilia
13 years ago
5 posts

I think this might be in the wrong sub-forum, but it's about accessories for dreads.

For a while now, I've been wondering about feathers for dreadlocks. I'd love to get some real bird feathers (possibly dyed) and attach them to beads or clasps and stick them in my dreadlocks - but I'm a bit lost as to where to buy some. I've been keeping a bit of an eye out for good-looking feathers in the street that are in good condition, but I guess that with off-the-street feathers you'd have to somehow "disinfect" them so as not to pass any kinds of bird parasites/lice/insects into your hair.

So - question is, anyone know of any reputable shops online or in the UK that would be selling real feathers?

Thanks!

updated by @nora-emilia: 02/15/15 05:45:21AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

go out in the woods look for hawk or owl feathers oe even like blurjay oranything that u like i would imagine steaming them would kill anythimg

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
oh and woulda fit better in dread crafts but perhaps we need a dread accessories section?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
ok yoiur threads now 1st 1 in the new catagory

--
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

here's some really pretty ones already made that i found on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65070321/purple-black-striped-native-american?ref=v1_other_2

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65088689/natural-colored-native-american-hair

i also did a search on etsy for feathers under supplies and there's a lot of really cool ones available.

Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts
I was out doing a photoshoot for my band one day, and I came across 3 really really cool feathers.I'm glad you posted this because I've kept them in my room for months and for no reason until nowThanks for the idea!
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts
I personally wouldn't even bother disinfecting them myself. If they've been moulted, then there is unlikely to be anything living on them anyway. I have found the best attitude to germs and nasties is to bear in mind germs are good for bolstering your immune system :P and I have never been seriously ill. Even when I used to play with dead rats as a kid.... :/ (Yes I was a bit odd....) All this disinfection rubbish is silly in my opinion..... Native cultures use feathers and animal parts all the time for decoration, and I'm sure they don't worry bout disinfection :)
Fay Brotherhood
@fay-brotherhood
13 years ago
59 posts
Oooh, the only thing I have found though, is that after owning a feather, or an untreated skin with fur on it for about 2 or 3 years, you tend to get..... I don't know if its some kind of mite, or clothes moth or something, that starts munching on the hair shafts and feather barbles etc. But maybe thats a sign from nature you've kept hold of her gift too long and its time to find a new one with new energy :)
Nora Emilia
@nora-emilia
13 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for all the advice, guys :)

Keely Lime - you're welcome for the idea!

Fay Brotherhood - It's less about disease or germs I'm worried about, more about mites or tiny insects setting up shop in my OWN hair, haha. :P I've never had a problem touching bird feathers that are out and about, but putting them in my hair will be another thing.. :D

Thanks for the all the advice, all of you, and thanks for the Etsy listing - unfortunately, I have very little money for luuries at the moment, otherwise I'd buy some of those gorgeous things. :)

When the weather stops being so miserable, I'm gonna go out on the hunt for feathers.. there's plenty of seagulls around here, and they drop incredible feathers. :)

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
Why would you want to put bird feathers in your locks..?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form