Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread wraps?

flowerchild
@flowerchild
10 years ago
8 posts

I was curious on the best way to fully wrap individual dreads and the best kind of thread to use? mine are blonde so i'd really like to start addin some colors and funk to em :) also, any suggestions on a nifty site to order beads from?

updated by @flowerchild: 01/13/15 10:02:58PM
Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts

Personally...I'd avoid wrapping your dreads...when you get them wet they'll retain more moisture and make you more susceptible to mold. When I had my dreads wrapped they'd stay wet for days...and some eventually developed a slime to them...I took all my cords out and had to do some serious washing. Just sayin....

Sunflower
@sunflower
10 years ago
95 posts

beads - ebay :)

hair wraps can be done with hemp or bracelet floss (like friendship bracelets). and wrap them like you would normal hair. Take as many colors as you want (the thing to get the perfect string length is your hair length x 3) and just wrap it around, its really not that hard :) I have a wrap which is 2 years old, and recently took out one that was the same age - the hair underneath was fine, not tangled at all, not moldy nothing so dont worry about it :) if you want a tutorial I could make one

Ixchel
@ixchel
10 years ago
597 posts

i have a wrap video on my page that shows a couple ways. i use hemp (not polished, that has wax & will leave residue on your dreadies ick) or embroidery thread.if your dreads are still young & tightening/looping & things you may want to remove wraps more often just so the string doesn't get ate up.

jellyfish joy on fb has some pretty glass beads, or scout craft stores to find ones that will fit

flowerchild
@flowerchild
10 years ago
8 posts

thank you! where can I find hemp thread? is it something to order online? i'll check out fb and your video :)

Ixchel
@ixchel
10 years ago
597 posts

i got my hemp at joanns i think, most craft stores will have options.

hair wrapping vid

(wow my dreads have changed, i should do a new vid!)

flowerchild said:

thank you! where can I find hemp thread? is it something to order online? i'll check out fb and your video :)

Rheana Hayes
@rheana-hayes
10 years ago
26 posts

If you need your hair to dread more try the criss cross wrap, it leaves more room for the hair to move and will allow the hair to dry a bit faster. If you haven't got any matted hair yet, go for some beads to get the dreads going more. I used shell beads last night they are small so they fit in my unlocked hair well.

Rheana Hayes
@rheana-hayes
10 years ago
26 posts

Also the best beads I have found are on etsy! There is a shop called FlameTouchedGlass that makes incredible hand blown glass dread beads. She even takes custom orders and she let me wait two weeks to pay! Another store I commissioned is PerpetualSunshine111. She makes crochet jewelry and I saw a couple rings with healing gemstones woven in. I asked her to lengthen the ring to the size of a sleeve (about the length of a finger, width of a pencil) and use rainbow yarn with turquoise and prehnite attached. She made a beautiful piece for me for twenty bucks, and also told me she could wait for payment. I also am interested in making my own beads with polymer clay or something as simple as homemade salt dough. You can google for a recipe for the dough, shape, bake, and paint your own beads.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form