Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Take out my glass beads to wash and dry my hair or just leave them in all the time?

Puddinbites
@puddinbites
11 years ago
6 posts

Hello, I bought some really pretty glass beads and I've been taking them out when I wash and dry my hair so far but I wanted to know if I could just as well leave them in there too without hurting anything? I've only put them on some actual baby dreads and not just the sectioned hair and I'm only 7 weeks in so I want to make sure they don't get in the way of my doing what it needs to dread and don't cause mildew or mold on the hair because it can't dry under the bead.

I looked up about beads but they seem to mainly focus on wood beads and those can soak up water so I figured might take different care then glass beads.

updated by @puddinbites: 01/13/15 09:56:00PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I have a couple of beads, not glass but one is metal and one is a plastic kind of thing. Never taken them off and never had any issues with them. If it worries you, just slide the bead up or down a bit to give the covered area a chance to dry in the air/sun, but shouldn't need to take it out :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

yep, like Tara said, just slide it around to let the hair dry. Good to do to so that it does not get stuck behind a big loop forming, they can pop up over night.....peace

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I never take my beads out to wash. I have sterling silver beads, wooden beads, glass beads and a cholla cactus bead. I did have a glass bead get stuck in my hair. It was about 2 inches long. I put it in my dreads before they were mature. My hair shrank and fattened above and below the bead. My hair has grown a lot over the years and it slings around. I accidentally hit walls doors cars furniture people... just about every thing with my hair. Anyway my hair hit something and cracked my bead. I had to wrap it in cloth and hit it with a hammer to get it out. I had almost 2 inches of undreaded hair under there. It was really weird but it fixed itself. I can remove all of my beads but one if I want. I have a small pewter bead that is good and stuck.

One other thing. I broke a glass bead recently. I had put the bead on one of my babies to try to tame it. Apparently my baby dreads are thinner when they are wet. One day after a wash...I took my dog for a walk. The bead fell out and hit the sidewalk and a big chunk broke off. It made me really sad because a dear friend had blown it for me.

Puddinbites
@puddinbites
11 years ago
6 posts

Thanks so much for the info :) I washed my hair yesterday and it all got dry fine I just moved the beads around alittle. They did get alittle smaller when wet but not so much the beads would come off but I'm going to make sure to check that while they are still young since I'd hate for a bead to get broken. I'd rather they didn't get stuck but it's good to hear the hair will be okay if they do. I'll try to only keep beads on the few ones that have already shruck from my mid back to like 3-5 inches hopefully they won't shrink too much more lol.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form