Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

yet another case of crochet recovery

frederic masure
@frederic-masure
12 years ago
15 posts
Hello everyone I'm Fred from Belgium. First of all great stuff going on here! Cool people too.To the point. I have six year old dreads, sadly they are crocheted and have been "fixed" every seven or eight months since the beginning. They were very long (had to watch my moves when I had to go to the bathroom know my french...), but i recently cut them shorter because the tips got really thin and started to break. My hair still reaches the middle of my back though.I have learned a lot from people's stories here, and I changed my ways some two weeks ago. My hair is much cleaner, and I feel more confortable with myself. Feels kinda nice too let my hair do its own thing instead of forcing it into dreads.I guess I will keep it clean and see how it works out, or is it necessary to cut it all and start over? I want to do what's best in the long run.Very grateful for the knowledge I gain here!
updated by @frederic-masure: 01/13/15 09:40:36PM
Lion
@lion
12 years ago
2 posts
I used to also use the crochet hook but after finding this site stopped. I stopped in July and since then have grown more than an inch of new growth in some places and my dreads have been dreading naturally pretty well. Only thing I do it separate the dreads growing together that I don't want to grow together. My hair began to dread naturally pretty soon after I stopped crocheting. You do not need to cut anything.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
No need to cut them. Crochet recovery can take a very very long time tho. Be prepared for a lot of loose hair and fuzzies. Was wax ever used? If so you'll want to do some aggressive wax removal as well. There are others that know a lot more on this than I do, hopefully they can help guide thru the recovery. Good luck and welcome to the community!!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea like they said the recovery can take a loooong time you will see extreme frizz (all the broken hairs pop out)

they will soften thicken become more felexible

losing that crochetted look can take a very long time

but the natural dreading..the taking care of themselves starts soon as you stop forcing them so you wont have to worry about a thing..however will have to accept a degree of messiness as they heal

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea like they said the recovery can take a loooong time you will see extreme frizz (all the broken hairs pop out)

they will soften thicken become more felexible

losing that crochetted look can take a very long time

but the natural dreading..the taking care of themselves starts soon as you stop forcing them so you wont have to worry about a thing..however will have to accept a degree of messiness as they heal

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

moved to crochet recovery since u already know what to do to save em...just stop the crochet

--
frederic masure
@frederic-masure
12 years ago
15 posts

Thanks for the advice. I already feel a change, it's subtle of course, but i can feel it! By the way my niece wants to have dredz "done" in a salon or something, and I'm happy to say I could share some of the things I learned here. Told her to check this site out to have an impression ofwhat itreally isabout, and managed to prevent her from making the same mistakes. So in 2 weeks time you guys helped 2 members of my family. Impressive...

frederic masure
@frederic-masure
12 years ago
15 posts

Thanks. I used wax a couple of times years ago, and I think I managed to cut the parts with wax in them. They had become thin and britlle anyway...I checked theparts I cut, and the wax was still there, all dirty looking. God that's nasty stuff!!!

Mons said:

No need to cut them. Crochet recovery can take a very very long time tho. Be prepared for a lot of loose hair and fuzzies. Was wax ever used? If so you'll want to do some aggressive wax removal as well. There are others that know a lot more on this than I do, hopefully they can help guide thru the recovery. Good luck and welcome to the community!!!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form