dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crochet oops!

Bohemian Raspberry
@bohemian-raspberry
13 years ago
5 posts

Hello there you lovlie headed people.

I got my dreads two days ago and was VERY surprised with the result. So I googled the crap out of my method (crochet hook) and found thiswonderful site, and also found that I chose he wrong method entirely!I have about 33 very thin dreads and my head looks like a grid. I'm new to all this and I justlooking forsome reassurence that the grid will fade and my dreads will fatten out i want big crazy messy dreads not neat little wormies! So hat can I expect to happen now that I solemnly swear I will never crochet the little guys/gals again? Is there anytghing I can do/use to spped the loosening up and to get rid of my grid head, I'm a wee bit embarrassed about it, I didn;t really expect my dread joureny to start with people being able to see the shape of my skull!! It may work for Lord Voldemort but personally I like a good hair coverage for my skull:)

Alos cananyone recommend what shampoo to use??. I've looked some up on this site but they are mainlybrands I don't recognise. I live in ruralEngland so any goodBritish brands out there?

Cheers folks!

updated by @bohemian-raspberry: 02/14/15 09:21:28AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome i think lush is a brit brand right?

butttttt

ok you can use aloe or jojoba to condition and speed up recovery (which maty still take a long time) if u paid for this i would request a refund thats the only way theu will ever learn not to do this

yes the scalp will cover over in time

the dreads will loosen sloooowly and soften and thicken

can we see pics?

in the crocvhet recovery group theres tips about using johjoba or aloe and massaging it in to the very tight spots liker your trying to work out a knot in a muscle

your gonna want to do things kinda the oposite of whats good to help dreads dread cause your wanting to loosen not tighten them

eventualy they will loosen enough to be sioft and move again and then stop cionditioining let them begin looping and tightening back up properly

other alternatiuves carefully comb out with loads of conditioners and start over naturaly or with tnr (to me it sounds like u want to go natural)

lets see how they look it will help others as well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bohemian Raspberry
@bohemian-raspberry
13 years ago
5 posts

Yeah that's helpful thank-you :)My hair is also very thin and straight so if yours have loosened up I expect mine will too given time. My hair grows pretty fast so hopefully grid head won't be around for long!

SE thnaks for your advice.I'm takingpics of the daily progress but I'min my student digs atm, andhaven't got my camera USB thingy with me here.. Next time I go home i am gonna post my progress and hopefully by then (late December)they will be lookin' schweeeet. Or at least a bit better.I brushed two out round my ears to try and hide the harshness of it abit and lots of hair came out so I think I'm gonne keep them in and play the waiting game, and try and loosen the little blighters a bit. You live, you learn! yes we have lush here are they good for dreads? they have Sodium lauryl sulphate in though and I've read that ingredient is a bit of a nastie but all the ohjter ingredients seem to be above aboard so maybe I'l just give it a go :) Cheers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

not all lush bars have sls there are a few that dont and ive never used em but some say they work well

www.dreadlockshampooo.com should probly be shippable there next week i hope if so its awesome

u can do the bs/acv but your water makes it harder to disolve cause itys alkaline

and yea all that hair loss is from broken hair caused by crochet u do shed a few a day but i think u lodst alot right? way more then say 10 hairs per dreads

in the 1's u took out can u see the breaks some hairs lot shorter? can u guestimate the % that were damaged?

just curius

--
Bohemian Raspberry
@bohemian-raspberry
13 years ago
5 posts

Coolio thanksI will look into getting some stuff shipped, in the mean timeI might go and quiz them at lush tomorrow then if I can bear being followed around by the staff the whole time I'm in there!

Yeah I tried bs and it didn't seem to wash my hair well at all, left it quite greasy, so maybe it'sour water.

I had a few knots come out of each dread I brushed out, I'd say with about twenty-thirty hairs in each knot, not crazy damage but enough breakage for me to not want to brush the hair out as I have pretty limited hair to start with! What a palava!!..although I hope with a bit of time I'll be left with dreads I love.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

et em go as natural as can be and they will come out ok eventualy

--
Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
13 years ago
53 posts

I dont think you can get any totally natural products at lush in the UK- I already tried. But the BS and ACV is amazing, I would advise you to persist until you get a mix that works well for you.

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
13 years ago
53 posts

Oh and getting pure aloe is a nightmare but I've heard you can buy a plant in ikea...

Bohemian Raspberry
@bohemian-raspberry
13 years ago
5 posts

Thanks Rachel, I'll persevere with the with bs and invest in some acv tomorrow me thinks. My hair's pretty greasy as it is so maybe it's justreadjusting its oil balance now I've said bye bye to normal shampoo. Wow an aloe plant would be amazing i'll definately bear that one in mind next time I'm near an Ikea.I've alreadf got some jojoba so I've definately got a lot of advice to go ontoday, thanks guys :)

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
13 years ago
53 posts

No worries, I got the ACV from holland & barratt, but cant buy pure aloe anywhere - I tried on-line but they sent me some 98% crapthat I could have bought in anyboots, thinking I wouldnt notice. You can buy the aloe plants elsewhere but I heard they are cheap in ikea. I followed SE's recipe but it took me a while to get the hang of soaking my scalp and hair thoroughly & rinsing properly too. Good luck : )

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form