Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying Roots?

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I dyed my hair blonde before I started dreading it and now my dreads have grown out and my roots are a murky brown color. I bought some blonde hair dye, not bleach, and I was wondering how safe it is to dye my roots. Im sure with dying them some of it will get into my dreads, but will it hurt?

I dont plan on using the conditioner that comes with it. I plan on using the baking soda and acv wash after I rinse the dye. Will the wash have an effect to the dye?

updated by @jackie-turner: 02/14/15 02:25:48AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yes the wash slowly removes color so its not god to ue on color treated hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I dyed my hair three months into my dreads and they came out completely. Be careful.

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I have been using the wash since I stated and my blonde is still there. Did you dye your roots or the dreads themselves? The dye I have is a very weak I think. Its off brand and super cheap.

Mary6
@mary6
11 years ago
9 posts

I had to dye my hair for work with my first set of dreads (they were about 4 months old). Some of the less formed ones came out, but I went gently and slow, and it went way better than I expected.

You could always use a cheap, small paint brush to lessen the chance of the dye getting in your dreads.

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

I've heard hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice with slowly but surely give you a more natural blonde color, without having to use chemicals and such. check it out on realfarmacy.com. They have great natural health and beauty tips!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Lemon juice is not good to use at all. It slowly works its way to the inner shaft of the hair, breaking down the proteins inside the shaft and slowly dissolving it, damaging it, Most damaging to color treated hair.

Nicole Schaefer said:

I've heard hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice with slowly but surely give you a more natural blonde color, without having to use chemicals and such. check it out on realfarmacy.com . They have great natural health and beauty tips!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Jackie, you are on a wonderful healthy journey to begin your dreadlocks, so why not go healthy all the way and embrace your natural hair color? Dye your hair one last time to your natural color and let them be.
That way they will last you a lifetime if you so choose. Continual coloring will only damage them over and over. I'm sure you don't want that to happen. You will be so in love with them and will regret the damage it will have caused, so start off on the right path and embrace yourself as you are....beautiful....peace

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I actually had bought a box of my natural color to begin with. That is what I wanted to do, go natural with my dreads. But I read somethings that said if you dyd your dreads before they are mature they will break off or fall out. Thats why I decided to just dye my roots blonde because that way I wouldnt be dying the dreads themselves. And Im so OCD I have to have all of my hair one color. So which would be a better choice? I would much rather go natural, but is it safe tpo dye your dreads at 3 months?

the Barrellady said:

Hi Jackie, you are on a wonderful healthy journey to begin your dreadlocks, so why not go healthy all the way and embrace your natural hair color? Dye your hair one last time to your natural color and let them be.
That way they will last you a lifetime if you so choose. Continual coloring will only damage them over and over. I'm sure you don't want that to happen. You will be so in love with them and will regret the damage it will have caused, so start off on the right path and embrace yourself as you are....beautiful....peace

Mary6
@mary6
11 years ago
9 posts

I dyed mine at 4 months, and I only had to redo a few in the back. Since your hair is blonde now, it should be easier to cover up. I would sugest not leaving it in as long as the box says, and make sure you rinse them reallllly well. Don't use the conditioner after, obviously.

It really depends on how locked up your hair is. If you are able to wash it without a lot of it loosening, I think you should be fine.

Personally, I feel like you should dye it while it's looser, that way you have less of a chance of getting dye caught in middle of the dread.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form