Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice on starting with already damaged hair.

Selena Joy Bowles
@selea
11 years ago
3 posts

Hellooooooo My name is Selena and I am oh so eager to have dreads.

So I've hunting around for answers but haven't really found a solution to my problem. I want to start dreading my hair but it's dyed and damaged. What should I do to get it ready for dreading. Have been advised to use coconut oil on the scalp for 3 months prior to dreading - any good? Thank you in advance

:)

Love, love.

updated by @selea: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
11 years ago
336 posts

Just stop brushing and combing'] DON'T use oil. Keep it clean with a good natural shampoo, no conditioner. I found damaged hair dreads quicker than healthy hair so keep an eye on your sections, they will want to congo. Vicki has amazing dread shampoo on here, it helps and smells AMAZING. Wash every few days, gently towel dry and shake your hair to separate it. You'll be fine'] God Bless! Nancy

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Oh yeah!! AWESOME! Dyed and damaged hair is PERFECT to lock up, Selena! See, the scruffy cuticle of the hair tangles a LOT easier than smooth perfectly healthy hair.

No prep is needed. Just go to the dreadication pages and you'll be locking up in no time. The Dreadication drop down menu is up at the top row of tabs where is says from left to right, "Home," "Dreadication," "Forum,"...... and several others. That drop down menu there is a treasure trove, my dear.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just dont use any methods ior mainrenences that would damage it further

the 1 that said use oil for 3 months 1st probly wanted to backcomb or crochet u right?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Yeah...as everyone else said, you're actually going to have an easier time locking up than most. No worries!

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Euuuwwww. Yeah, SE, backcombing would be a major no-no for that kinda hair. Snap crackle POP goes nearly every hair shaft. It'd be a wreck. Twist and rip should probably be out of the equation, too.

Just let it go, Selena. Let your hair do what it wants to do while cleaning it like all good dreadies do and you'll be gorgeously dready in no time.

I know a few people who purposely dye their hair(chemical or henna) to help the locking process along. They just don't use any conditioners afterward; only do the dye itself.

Selena Joy Bowles
@selea
11 years ago
3 posts

Wow, and thank you for the abundance of awesome comments! I felt really disheartened earlier on today thinking I would have to wait so long just to start. I know it's a process in itself but I thought 3 months of oiling was a little excessive... I've noticed my hair is really unmanageable at the moment and REALLY knotty so figured this might be a good thing but then when I was told to wait 3 months my logic went straight out of the window.

SE, I put the question on a Facebook group. Not sure if the person who responded was a loctician or other though.

Does anyone know if I can wash my hair with Fairy washing up liquid. Although, I presume it's only available here in the UK.

Thank you everyone, means a lot to me :)

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Can you give us the list of ingredients?

Selena Joy Bowles
@selea
11 years ago
3 posts

15-30% Anionic Surfactants,5-15% Non-Ionic Surfactants ,Phenoxyethanol ,Methylisothiazolinone ,Perfumes ,Butylphenyl Methylpropional ,Hexyl Cinnamal ,Limonene

I opted for just baking soda and teatree oil in the end as I was unsure if it was a good idead to use the above and the b/s and teatree was all I had in the house lol

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

That ingredient list makes it sound like they don't want to be too specific about their 'sulfectants' with their customers. Yeah, I'd stay the heck away from it if you wanna lock up. ANYTHING that is supposed to make your hair 'healthy, bouncy, shiny' is flat out WRONG for dreads, as a general rule. Dreads require a whole new mindset on soap.

In the beginning, you cannot go wrong with baking soda and tea tree oil. Just make sure your ratios are right.

Check out the dreadacation tab up above to get that. Also, some essential oils can be moisturizing if you put enough of it on your hair. Just a tip and something to watch for as you're deciding how much to use. 3 drops per cup of water is perfectly fine and has medicinal properties + great scent.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form