Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What is the cheapest possible way to get my dreads started?

HayleyG
@hayleyg
11 years ago
4 posts

I've been thinking on letting my hair dread for a little while now, and after finding this site and learning even more about dreads I'm anxious to get started. The only problem is I'm very low on funds right now and I can't afford to buy any of the dread shampoo or sea salt on this site. I saw on the shampoo page that they are giving away 1 bar to a member every week and that would be great if I could be lucky enough to be chosen for that, but I'm not counting on it. I know that basically I would just need a good shampoo to use, or some baking soda and essential oils. Would it be wise to just start out with mixing some baking soda and water to start my dread adventure?

updated by @hayleyg: 01/13/15 09:54:00PM
Derek2
@dreadedhyena
11 years ago
37 posts

Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar is grand usually. Don't EVER use baking soda without using apple cider vinegar as well. I've heard terrible things. Always make sure the baking soda is completely rinsed out as well, or you could start a chemical reaction on your head. Remember, less is more. Start small so you can work your way up and figure out what your skins needs are. A good rule for the amount of baking soda, generally...if the water/baking soda mix is not translucent, then you've probably used too much. It should be 100% dissolved and it shouldn't look too foggy.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there, so you want to start dreads and want it to be as cheap as possible. Well, throw away your comb or brush and you have begun your journey. How cheap is that.

When using the baking soda (BS) wash, it is not necessary to use cold water, when rinsing with Apple cider vinegar (ACV) it is not necessary to rinse with cold water. Just use your regular shower water, at the temp you normally do. When you are all finished, then you do a cold head rinse, as cold as you can take. Doing it for everything will freeze you and is not necessary.

The BS will exfoliate your scalp without scrubbing, but needs to be on 10 minutes minimum. The ACV needs to be rinsed out within one minute or it will over condition the hair. If you have an oily scalp, you can skip the ACV, as your natural scalp oils will restore your PH balance. You can still use it every couple of weeks if you want, as it softens the hair nicely.

You should wet your hair first before adding the BS, otherwise most of it will just run off. Think of a sponge, when it is wet, it absorbs more water, when dry, it takes longer to suck it up.

A bulk food store is the best place to buy BS, nice and cheap. To save on money, just use the 1/2 cup BS to 5 cup water ratio.

I have included a map to see what water type you have, it is hard to tell exactly where you are, there is hard water and softer all around you. If you have hard water, you will have to do one of two things for the BS mixture:

• boil the water first, let the minerals settle in the bottom and then pour out your 5 cups, not disturbing what has settled at the bottom. BS does not mix well with this
  • or you can purchase bottled water, I use a water cooler size container that lasts forever, and use that

You can use your regular water to rinse the wash out and for the ACV, no problem there. Hope this helps you out......peace

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
HayleyG
@hayleyg
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks so much for all the help! I will definitely pick up some baking soda here soon (already have the acv). I really appreciate all the clarification because I feel like the whole process is a lot less foggy to me now.

Bibbsey
@bibbsey
11 years ago
4 posts

HayleyG said:

Thanks so much for all the help! I will definitely pick up some baking soda here soon (already have the acv). I really appreciate all the clarification because I feel like the whole process is a lot less foggy to me now.

Bibbsey
@bibbsey
11 years ago
4 posts

Bibbsey said: I can't offer much more than these amazing guy's have, but just lay back, watch mother earth do her thing and you'l be good! Good luck, Peace x

HayleyG said:

Zachary Tyler
@zachary-tyler
11 years ago
36 posts
So much more clear and detailed that it was told to me. I'm pretty slow tho lol. Always good advice.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form