Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How much do you care about sectioning?

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
11 years ago
91 posts

How much do you care about "clean" sections in your dreadies? When they were younger I was a huge stickler on making sure that there weren't any shared hairs or hairs coming from goodness knows where.

Now my dreads about about 1.5 years and they are acting like teenagers again. I try to remember to pick through them once a week and they are always super messy. between 10 months to recently I used to be able to go through them maybe once a month and had barely any co-mingling.

Anyways. since it's become an "issue" I've taken a more lax approach on my sections. As long as they aren't matting together I don't care if say, there are 30 hairs mixed up between two because I'm worried about cutting them away. Could this create a congo problem later on? I wouldn't mind as much if it were my small dreads that are getting mixed up in each other but of course it's my monster ones that are eating everything around them.

updated by @aya-heartright: 01/13/15 09:53:54PM
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I mean...yeah, if you leave them alone for too long, they're definitely going to congo. But if you don't want to be a perfectionist with your dreads, don't be. Perfectionism is overrated. Ain't nobody got time for that.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stopped seperating bout ..wow could it be 7 years ago? i seperate 2 or 3 a year not 2 or 3 times 2 or 3 dreads just the already fat ones

i never cared biyt clean secyions just keeping em seperated so i did maybe 10-20 a week early on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
11 years ago
91 posts

Lol. If I had more dreads I probably wouldn't care as much. I have 36 and am happy with that.

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
Hairs in between don't bother me, but I do check for stray hairs that are trying to mingle too far away. My scalp is pretty sensitive so I have to make sure nothing's pulling too much. Other than that I just separate as far up as it will go. :)
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I truly do not care. In fact, the messier the sectioning, the better. I don't like having perfectly-formed sections, it looks fake and I'm far too lazy to do that when there's no reason for it. I just pull out some wild, wandering hairs that I don't want to join a dread because it'd feel uncomfortable. Besides that, they can do what they want.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Kelsey, I'm with ya, I have a very sensitive scalp and wandering hairs that ouch are a big turn off for me too. I separate at least twice a week. Especially if I'm wearing my hair down a lot. If it's up a lot then it's not doing much moving around so it doesn't get into trouble but if it's down more often than not then I notice an upsurge of issues with 'holy crap that hurts!' Then before ya know it digging around in my roots trying to find that pesky hair. Or five. When you scrub your scalp when shampooing then tangles happen a lot more, I think. And I love to scrub the hell out of my scalp.

Sensitive scalps just have it a bit rougher, I think. I wish I didn't have a sensitive scalp but I guess I just gotta deal with it.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form