Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How EXACTLY do I wash my newly neglect dreads?

Lydia Wong
@lydia-wong
11 years ago
6 posts

I'm on my 7th day now. I find washing my hair kinda softens and untangles my hair quite abit. What I want to know is HOW do you wash your hair? I don't run my hands through them, but I use my fingers to massage my scalp and make sure the shampoo are well spread on my scalp. Then I rinse them out. Is what I'm doing correct? O: Do you go in circular motions on your scalp with your palm or something? Or like me?

updated by @lydia-wong: 01/13/15 09:53:26PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

You're doing it just fine. When washing locks, you want to avoid getting soap onto the bodies of the locks. So, like you're doing, just suds up your scalp. Then massage it with your fingers, and rinse it out.

For the first 4-8 months, you'll see a considerable amount of untangling, then retangling. Then untangling and retangling. It's normal, and all part of the process. Don't worry about it. And definitely don't redo any that start to unravel. That only sets you back to day 1.

Dreadlocks are a massive accumulation of knots and tangles. Every time your hair changes shape, new knots are formed. Over the months, knots will start to hold and not come out.

Since you're only 7 days in, if you have any knots that stay after washing, you're ahead of the game. 7 Days is the embryonic stage of locks. They aren't even much of collection of cells. It takes about 1-2 years to grow fully mature locks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

what shampoo are u using i would put int on then use fingertips to carefully masage scalp but use small motions fully lift your hand b4 moving to a new area so your not disturbing the hair just scrubbing the scalp gently

but the shampoo you use makes all the diference if your not using a dread freindly shamooo it might not dread easily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

What I do with my liquid dread shampoo is put water into a squirt bottle, then add the shampoo and shake it up. Then I squirt my scalp only, having wet the hair first, and using fingertips to gently rub (massage) scalp. When you rinse this out, it will run through your sections cleaning them as it goes....peace

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Just do the small circular movements with the balls of your fingers on the scalp area, but make sure the shampoo your using is NOT a shampoo conditioner blend! Most are these days, i use sunlight soap and you could do your last rinse with some sea salt in the water. I have also used Johnson baby shampoo which has a high ph and is know to be harsh on the hair which is what you want, thats how dreads are made, with the wind, salt water, yeh- put your head out the car window a couple of times when someone ELSEis driving the car fast! that'll sure get em started!

Lydia Wong
@lydia-wong
11 years ago
6 posts

I use this natural herb shampoo. Oh right, how do you know whether there's residue left on your hair? Is it like after applying conditioner, and it feels oily that kind of feeling? So if there's none, does it feels squeaky?

soaring eagle said:

what shampoo are u using i would put int on then use fingertips to carefully masage scalp but use small motions fully lift your hand b4 moving to a new area so your not disturbing the hair just scrubbing the scalp gently

but the shampoo you use makes all the diference if your not using a dread freindly shamooo it might not dread easily

Lydia Wong
@lydia-wong
11 years ago
6 posts

Ah thanks everyone for your suggestions. ^-^ My hair is starting to tangle up a little. I'M SO EXCITED! :D

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form