Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

only one layer?

Luke Passalinqua
@luke-passalinqua
11 years ago
8 posts

hello all! its been a while since ive been here, busy with school and whatnot but now that its out i have alot more time on my hands. yesterday was my 4th month! i have yet to post any updates but i just got out of the shower so i will take pics once my hair dries a bit. i just have one thing i wanted to ask about. i was separating today and, well its not the first time ive noticed this but i really looked into it today as i was separating, i noticed that there seems to be only one top/outer layer of my hair thats had any progress. you can literally lift this layer up and hold the dreads above my head, and underneath, the rest of the hair, while has "pieces" it is not sectioning or holding together at all. ive had this same phenomenon happen before i was dreading, it seems like its just a thing that happens overnight when i sleep, so in essence you could say this layer looks like i have brushed a few days ago. no interlocking, no looping, no nothing. i was wondering if its normal for the hair to dread from top to bottom like this or should i be seeing some more progress underneath?

this thing is especially apparent when i pull my hair back, the under layer covers most of my dread progress, and it looks like im not even dreading almost. i try to keep it down and free to tangle as much as possible, but i have to pull it back for work i am a salesman at sears.

i use bronners, the lockin up liquid, and the baking soda, depending on what i feel like i should use for the current wash. i wash every two days. recently i have realized that the sections break apart when using the bronners and lockin up liquid from scrubbing, and that they form much better when the no scrub baking soda is used, so ive been using the baking soda alot more, and using the liquids when i want to really scrub my scalp and/or use the tea tree oil(bronners) or make my hair smell strongly of nag champa.

like i said i will post a picture soon of my progress, and if you like i will also hold the sections up so you can see the underneath layer.

i was thinking about either ordering the dread gel, or doing a small amount of TnR underneath to kind of jump start it, but i really want to try to be all natural so i hope what i am experiencing is normal.

sorry for the wall of text but thanks!

updated by @luke-passalinqua: 01/13/15 09:53:24PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

It is normal, so don't worry. Some members like Llxchel and I think Baba Fats have been slow dreaders. It usually starts in that area first due to sleeping habits. Allthough you think the T&R will jump start it, it will actually take a step backwards. I used this method and the hair loosens after you do it and then dreads. It could be slower to dread due to the fact that you must tie up your hair. Unless you have an oily scalp, don't forget to use 1 capful of apple cider vinegar to 5 cups water as a rinse after you wash out the baking soda wash, pour it on and rinse out right away or within one minute. Without this you can fry out your hair, it will balance the PH when used, believe me, I did use it often at first and it took months for my hair to become soft again. Try doing a sea salt spray or rinse or purchasing the Himalayan Sea Salt Spray form the DreadlockShampoo site, it is fantastic stuff.

When I use the liquid shampoo, I fill a squirt bottle with water and add the shampoo into it, then squeeze it all over into my hair. I also just scrub the scalp with my fingertips trying not to disturb any knotting process. When you rinse out the shampoo it will run through your sections

peace

Luke Passalinqua
@luke-passalinqua
11 years ago
8 posts

i have pretty oily hair, so only use the vinegar once in a great while. and when i do i use less than half a capful to 2.25 quarts and its almost too much. my hair doesnt look bad or anything so i think its ok, but thats another reason i like to use the bronners and the lockin up liquid, they done mess with the ph as directly as the baking soda. i will definitely try that technique though with the spray bottle, i suppose with the right nozzle setting it would lather pretty well too. i do only scrub only the scalp but especially in the back where my hair is shorter(it was cut at all one length to donate to lock for love) its alot harder to not disturb the sections. i have had the spray before, it was excellent for after work when the ponytail straightened alot of that under hair and broke some sections, and im waiting until payday to get another.

heres my 4 months pics btw. it looks alot better here but underneath there is definitely poor progress. just used the bronners.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

looks totaly fine
the rest will catch up
the hairline will dread last

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus