Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

disasterous dreadlocks after 5 months... what to do?

runrabbbit
@runrabbbit
11 years ago
1 posts

this is my first post here, so hello everyone. i was hoping you could help me out please. what's trying to be dreads are about 5 months old. i started by neglect, then sectioned that off and backcombed the sections. there is no uniform; i basically grabbed whatever strands of hair. the top of it went pretty well but underneath refused to dread for the longest time.
but now that i have started the very underneath i fear i have made a grave mistake. it looks awful. i only have 20 something. they are way too thick and too few, too un-uniform to be that thick. also very badly sectioned. i discovered to my horror that you can see my scalp where they part and i look balled. my waist length hair is now to my shoulders.
i think i want to comb them out and start over, doing it differently, sectioning before and doing them all manually, twist and rip maybe. on the other hand, maybe i should comb them out and give up on dreads, maybe they just dont work out for me. i feel all the energy put into them is wasted, and my hair is ruined. i'm very self conscious and feel so bad about this... i already combed out three but i feel so torn. what should i do? here are some photos, bad webcam quality and they look worse in person:

[img] http://i42.tinypic.com/2zq8ys0.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i43.tinypic.com/2vknvrp.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i39.tinypic.com/kb3mt1.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i41.tinypic.com/1ratyp.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i39.tinypic.com/21bq35s.jpg [/img]

[img] http://i43.tinypic.com/scga39.jpg [/img]

^when i had first started, a few dreads at the top of my head but my hair was still long and nice.

updated by @runrabbbit: 01/13/15 09:53:12PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

They are pretty fat. Butt hat's not always a bad thing. It just means they will take a bit more care to dry them.

They don't look as terrible as you may perceive them to be, though.

dreadlocks take, on average, about a year to mature. At 5 months, you're not even 1/2 way there yet. They will continue to look unruly and messy for another 3-4 months. Then they will start to tighten more, and become firmer. Finally, they will be mature. But that's still a little ways away.

Don't freak out about it yet. If you want to comb some out, and make them into smaller sections, that's fine. Do so gently, though. Get some pure aloe (from the plant) and massage it into each lock you want to split. Then brush them out, and make 2+ out f that tuft of hair.

There's no reason you need to give up on locks right now, unless you are not willing to take the time to let them form.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

why should they be unifirm

why did u backcomb why didnt u let tj=hem go natural\

they would have looked alot better if u never backcombed

they do need to be seperated

so lets chat and get u straightened out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

It's not like there's anything wrong with starting over if you really want to...but it may not be necessary? As a lot of people on this site will probably tell you, dreads have to look icky for awhile before they look awesome. Maybe split a few in the back and see how that goes? And they *don't* look horrible now, despite what you may think -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Right now you are going through a very difficult stage in the dreading process. I to started with almost waist length hair that went up to my shoulders. I did the T&R method, and let me tell you, at 5 months I would not pose in a picture at all, I looked like a crazy woman. It is really hard to believe that this is the worst time, but it is. I am at 15 months and still waiting for mine to become mature, but getting closer all the time. To encourage all your craziness to settle down, what if you were to soak them every morning. Keep on your same wash schedule, but get them wet, that will encourage them to dread faster. I noticed that mine looked tamer on the days I got them wet. Just make sure that they dry each time before going to sleep. The hair length lost was the worst for me, but in 2 years I recon they will be long again, a price to pay for growing my own dreads. I can't tell you what to do, nor know how you are feeling right now, but I do know it was my worst time and I got through it. HOW you ask? Well, I just kept envisioning my dreads 3 years from the day I started, that was my goal, and still is.
If you want to keep them, but hate how they look right now, you can: cover them by wearing a tam or loose hat, a loose bandanna, tie them up loosely with a shoe lace (they stay in place due to the lace texture), or even a black rope necklace with a charm on it-just wrap it around like a ponytail and slip the pendant through the rope. Just remember not to do it tightly.
If you just can't take it any more and do take them out, be prepared for many broken hairs due to the backcombing process, unavoidable, use plenty of conditioner and time. Whatever you decide to do, all the best. If you can hang in there, then go for it, the crazy crazy stage will pass in a couple of more months, I promise, I really do.....Peace

Derek2
@dreadedhyena
11 years ago
37 posts

I personally think they look pretty sweet =)

But yeah...I don't blame ya for wanting to split the big ole ones. I had to do that to

three of mine. At least, no matter if you decide to leave them or not...at least you didn't use wax, hooks, etc.

So regardless what you decide to do...your dreads will show ya love and be beautiful!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Your can always wrap each dread with embroidery thread, using the criss cross method. That lasts for about 2 months...Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form