Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

No elastic bands, no wrap.. another idea !.... is it a good one !??

Esheda
@esheda
11 years ago
9 posts

Hello friends !

I am 1 month and half ..

i use nice Vicki soaps and seasalt too..

I read on the forums about wrapping and rubber bands to accelerate the dreading process... well, not good stuff it seems ! I want to grow natural healthy strong dreads.... my hair are naturally sectioning... seems small sections like 0,4mm !!

What do you think about wraping each "section" by only turning 2 to 3 times around at the same place 9like a rubber band) with hemp cord and knot then , at 1 inch from the root ? thank you to help me

Esheda

updated by @esheda: 01/13/15 09:52:47PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you're going to use hemp, why not wrap them with a bigger section of hemp? There's nothing bad about hemp. That and embroidery thread are the best things to wrap lock with. Bands are bad, like you said, but hemp won't hurt them

Esheda
@esheda
11 years ago
9 posts

I thought it wasn't right bigger sections... how much time should i keep my hemp sections ? will the hemp 'melt' naturally or break ? i donnot want it to be "swallowed" in my future locks :)

thank you for your advice Baba

Esheda
@esheda
11 years ago
9 posts

the idea was to immitate beads.. but my as my natural sections seems to be small, i didn't find beads small enough !!

Baba Fats said:

If you're going to use hemp, why not wrap them with a bigger section of hemp? There's nothing bad about hemp. That and embroidery thread are the best things to wrap lock with. Bands are bad, like you said, but hemp won't hurt them

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I've kept hemp and thread in for months. I wouldn't recommend that so much, since hairs tend to tangle around it. The longest I'd keep any 1 piece in is for about a month. Then you can replace it with either the same piece, or a new one. It just helps to remove it periodically so it doesn't get swallowed.

Hemp can snap, but usually doesn't. It won't melt, unless you use the shiny kind, which contains wax. I would highly recommend not using that at all, anyway. And I wash 2-3 times a week. The hemp and bamboo cord I use hasn't shown any signs of decomposing or degrading at all, even if left in for months on end

Embroidery thread won't snap or melt no matter what. It's pretty durable.

Esheda
@esheda
11 years ago
9 posts

Waw , what a complete advice !! thank you so much , very useful

the hemp i found is natural, no wax for sure !!

so i need to replace almost every 1 month my hemp, while i see hair hanging around ?

sorry to confirm i understood well, english isn't my mamma loshn (birh language !)

thank you again for your kindness and patience Baba

i wash every 2 days with wonderful Vicki dragonblood soaps and spray once every 2 days with seasalt, sleeping on my wool pullover ...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

You don't have to replace that often. But if you leave it in too long, it'll be harder to remove, and you may rip some hairs getting it out. But it's not essential to replace it every month.

Most of my wraps stay in for a few months at a time. But since my locks are mature, I'm less worried about ripping a couple of hairs getting them out.

While your locks are forming, you may just want to make it easier for yourself

Esheda
@esheda
11 years ago
9 posts

Thank you again for your wise advices, thank to share your experience baba, very helpful

i will begin tomorrow !!

Layla tov !

Esheda

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if the dreads are unde4 1/2 a milimeter n(youd need a micrometer capable of measuring a single hair for that i think 0.01 is average hair thickness? so you have only 40 hairs per dread average?

why in the world would u want to wrap and preserve that

nobody would be able to tell u have dreads just thicker then normal hair and youd have ..like 100,000 dreads..well maybe 20,000

i dunno but an insane amount and youd be wrapping all 20,000 extremely tiny dreads to keep them extremely tiny

leave em be let them combine and get a lil thicket

even if u meant 4 mm not 0.4 thats still extremely thin

youd have around 1000

i would not wrap a single 1 id leave em alone and hope they section thicker over time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form