Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just starting out. Steer me in the right direction

Joshua Bott
@joshua-bott
11 years ago
3 posts
I'm just starting out this natural journey and am welcoming any advice. My hair is only 3-4 inches long. I got off the shampoo about 5 days ago which was how this started. I eat all natural whole foods and take rather good care of myself. I figured to start getting the rest of me all natural too. I just want some all natural happy dreads. If it takes time that's cool with me. Any help though is appreciated. I am worried my hair is too short to even start this. And is there anything else I should do? I have rinsed my hair in water every day. No other wash at all and it's not greasy at all. Is that too much water? Just air drying it. Thanks everyone for the help in advance.
updated by @joshua-bott: 01/13/15 09:52:17PM
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
11 years ago
80 posts

Hi, and welcome! I'm about 7 months in. I started with about shoulder-length hair, and I did tnr. I think you can start dreads at any length just by not brushing or conditioning. I think if you check a lot of blogs and forums, etc, most people use some sort of shampoo method. It doesn't slow the process, nor does water. Just stay away from conditioner. Personally, I wash my hair about twice a week, using Dr. Bronner's soap or baking soda/apple cider vinegar. I like to rinse with cold water and a few drops of rosemary oil, because it seems to help with itchy/dry scalp. You'll find tons of info on this site and advice. The most advice you'll see is don't do too much. No crocheting, wax, etc, but it sounds like you're going the natural route anyways. Good luck! I can say, for me, it's been a very fun process.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Taby, I hope you don't mix the apple cider vinegar into the baking soda, that is a chemical reaction. The BS should be your wash & the ACV is the rinse.....Peace

Taby said:

Hi, and welcome! I'm about 7 months in. I started with about shoulder-length hair, and I did tnr. I think you can start dreads at any length just by not brushing or conditioning. I think if you check a lot of blogs and forums, etc, most people use some sort of shampoo method. It doesn't slow the process, nor does water. Just stay away from conditioner. Personally, I wash my hair about twice a week, using Dr. Bronner's soap or baking soda/apple cider vinegar. I like to rinse with cold water and a few drops of rosemary oil, because it seems to help with itchy/dry scalp. You'll find tons of info on this site and advice. The most advice you'll see is don't do too much. No crocheting, wax, etc, but it sounds like you're going the natural route anyways. Good luck! I can say, for me, it's been a very fun process.

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
11 years ago
80 posts

No, definitely not. There's a lot of details missing there. Lots more on the subject of washes, oils, salt water, etc, etc, to be found in blogs and other forums.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Joshua and welcome to a new dread journey. They normally like to start knotting at 6 inches long, but will certainly separate into sections at your length. There is a product called Biotin that is sold at drug stores for under 10 bucks, it promotes hair growth and nail strength, found the in the vitamin section. If you use the baking soda wash, mix 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups of water and pour on head, leave on for 10 minutes without scrubbing, then rinse out well. Next you need to do and apple cider vinegar ACV rinse to balance out the hairs PH from using the baking soda...Mix 1 capful of ACV to 5 cups water and pour over head, rinse out within one minute or right away, this is also a healthy safe conditioner for dreads. If you leave it on for longer than a minute, it will over condition. If you don't use it after BS, your hair will begin to dry out. Wash every 2-3 days in the beginning because dreads love clean hair. It is okay to wet your hair every day with water, but once they are mature, you don't want to do that due to the drying time. Your sections will start to form on their own. All you will need to do is keep them clean and separate any sections that are trying to join to each other. Did you read the Dreaducation Section yet? That has great tips.....Peace

Joshua Bott
@joshua-bott
11 years ago
3 posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will be checking out the dreaducation section soon. I'm sure I'll bug you with questions again soon
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
11 years ago
393 posts

For the moment.... When your hair gets long enough to tangle from the wind blowing it around your dreadlocks will be in the baby stages of forming.

Wash your hair on a regular basis even if it is twice a week or even once a week. If you just started washing your hair less often your body is beginning to adapt and produce less oil.

If anyone gives you any grief about your hair not being brushed out when it gets longer just tell them you are going for the "Wind blown" look. Most people, especially the women and hair stylist, understand what wind blown hair is and shut up fairly quickly.

In the future. Because your dreadlocks will start to become heavier start doing some neck stretches to build your neck strength up over time.

Because no is better than you at being yourself don't stop being yourself. If anyone tries to beat you at being yourself they will always lose at being you and being themself.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form