Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello! I'm Seneca

senecathurman
@senecathurman
11 years ago
5 posts

Hi, I'm Seneca and I joined the site because I'm 11 weeks pregnant with my second child and I'm desperate to finally dread my hair! I'm a stay at home mommy of an adorable two year old boy named Winter =) He's my pride and joy!! lol I'm really excited to do this because I've always hated brushing my hair(I know, I'm gross) and its just exciting to know there is a hairstyle out there I love that involves NEVER brushing hair out.So I'm just on here for advice and tips and pretty much a how to because everytime I don't brush my hair, it sticks out like 4 inches like a mohawk on the back of my head or the side or whichever I lay on at night. I take showers at night and usually don't use a hair-dryer or a brush so my hair is a ratsnests all the time! I need to do something so I can tell my mother that I'm not just a lazy bum! lol So if anyone has any tips, I'll appreciate them. I'm also a natural kinda gal, but I dye my hair frequently(haven't in about 3 months cuz I'm prego) but can you dye dreads? I'm a freaking expert on dying my hair but of course it would be different without combed out hair. But otherwise, thats it.

updated by @senecathurman: 02/14/15 03:29:09AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

You can dye locks, but some dyes contain conditioners. I'm no expert. It's been about 10 years since the last time I dyed. I do know that a mixture of henna and indigo dyes are best for locks. But if you wash with the baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash, you will need to redo it pretty often, since BS strips colours.

Now that you're starting to lock your hair, it'll be in your best interest to wash in the morning. You shouldn't go to sleep with wet locks. It gives mold and mildew a better chance to grow. And locks hold water way longer than straight hair does. So you need time to let your hair dry. Mature locks can take anywhere frm 5-30 hours to dry, depending on how thick they are.

What are you washing with? That makes a big difference in the health of your locks.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Congrats on adding to your family. There is a group on here for dyed dreads, join up and you can get great tips from other members who love to dye....Use the search box near the top left, type in dyed dreads and you will get all sorts of posts, including groups......Peace

senecathurman
@senecathurman
11 years ago
5 posts

Well I don't even have locks yet is the thing. Idk even where to start lol But I'll have to change my whole routine lol but I suppose its worth it

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts
If you want a starter method, we can get together and I'll twist and rip it for you.
senecathurman
@senecathurman
11 years ago
5 posts

Perhaps, but I thought that was bad for hair? I was gonna just do it naturally but we could if you think it'll help. I gotta admit tho, I'm tender headed(another reason I never brush really) If you could see my hair right now, you would laugh your ass off dude. I'm not joking, I look like albert einstein most of the time. no joke

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

Nah it's not bad for your hair. Its the safest starter method and tnr dreads are still considered natural, just not free form.

senecathurman
@senecathurman
11 years ago
5 posts

mkay ^.^ well we can do it whenever, just not this weekend cuz of Winters birthday party.

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
11 years ago
59 posts
Hi! I am a SAHM and have an almost 2 year old as well. Not pregnant though! I haven't worked up that nerve yet ;-).I always colored my hair too, but since starting my neglect dreadies, I haven't colored my hair. It has been about 8 months and my greys are super showing, but I don't want conditioners in color to offset my progress.Once my dreads are mature, I will dye them, but my hair already looks A mess, might as well embrace it. Letting my greys be at 27 years old has been very freeing for me too. :)
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

tnr does break hair, but just not nearly as much as other methods. & natural is defined as "Existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind"

Niesje Sigrid said:

Nah it's not bad for your hair. Its the safest starter method and tnr dreads are still considered natural, just not free form.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form