Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Really really really huge dread?

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

It's been 3-4 months since I've quit brushing my hair. I have a friend that has 2 dreads in the back of her hair and they were not really big but they start getting really fat but she used the twist and rip method. But mine are natural. I'm wondering if they'll get more big then they are? Should I separate them?

updated by @kim-brisebois: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

Your dreads will essentially be roughly the size of the section at the root of the hair. Most people say that your sections should be no larger than 1 inch by 1 inch. I happen to have them of all sizes. At 3 months in I paniced about how large some of my sections were, but now I just love them and it turns out my fatter ones are my favorite ones.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

It honestly doesn't look too big? I wouldn't try to pull it apart just yet. Not unless it's causing you discomfort in some way.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

It is recommended that dreads be no larger than 1inch at the section where the hair meets the scalp. This is due to the drying time once they are mature. Fatties can take up to 36 hours to dry when they are all locked up. They do look wicked, but just need way more drying time, so it depends where you live if your hair will dry out between washes. Here is a pic of another member on this site, Tim, he lives in Australia and has nice fat boys. If you reside in a rainy area, I would not recommend them because mold will grow if they do not dry fully. He started these September 2012...Peace

gardening

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

yes, they might fatten up but they might not so i wouldn't worry too much. i have all different sizes and personally i prefer my fatties vs the thin ones. I'm currently not separating to encourage more congoing for bigger dreads. they do take longer to dry but i live in sunny southern California so that hasn't been an issue for me.

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

Thank you for your comments, people! :) Now I don't need to worry too much about it. xD

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form