dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 month "dreads" are coming undone

Premo
@premo
11 years ago
30 posts

Hello all.

Ok, so about 2 months ago I had my hair T&R'd, with a little bit of backcombing. There were 20 something knots/sections made...since then the knots have slowly but surely been coming completely undone. I'm down to about 8 that are still strongly sectioned, my hair has always been a crazy wavy mess, and it looks pretty much exactly like it did before I had the work done on it.

I've been washing my hair every 2 to 3 days with Vicki's locking up shampoo and I've done one BS/ASV wash. I've been making sure the sections stay separated and that is the only form of maintainance that I've done.

I know this is a long process that requires patience, I know that the fresh knots had to loosen in order to do their natural thing - it's just that I feel like I'm almost back to square one with everything coming undone. Tonight I saw a long strand of hair, I gently pulled on it and a pinch-worth of tangled hair came right out.

I just ordered the sea salt spray off this website, praying it will help. I feel like a couple trying to have a baby that just can't...I want this SO bad, but I feel like my hair is fighting it.

I'm going to try to add a couple pictures, sorry if they are similar, I had a hard time finding good lighting this time of night.

Any advice?

updated by @premo: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its only been 2 months... and they will do this..its perfectly normal..just wait a few more months

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brett
@brett
11 years ago
28 posts

Yeah, That's all completely normal, TnR basically defines the sections and then they come undone while staying in the sections you made and starting knotting up naturally, try not to pull out loose hair because that disturbs the knots that are forming, it's a hard habit to kick once you start but it helps the dreads. Just keepseparating (Be careful to not split sections in half by accident), keep washingand wait a few months and you'll see those sections of undone hair start goingberserk, just takes time.

Premo
@premo
11 years ago
30 posts

Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. I will try to stay patient.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Like everyone's saying -- totally normal. In fact, I don't know of very many people who have used a starter method for their dreads and have actually managed to keep the original dreads intact. The few who have managed to keep their original dreads had their hair crocheted/waxed/mega-F'd up at a salon and will probably have some significant problems with hair damage in the future. :(

Premo
@premo
11 years ago
30 posts

Thanks for the reassurance Laura :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form