Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dandruff or something else??

ashley walker
@ashley-walker
11 years ago
35 posts

This is a weird question but lately when I've been washing my hair (i do BS wash) I will scratch my head and there will be like a white substance but I'm not sure if its the baking soda or like wet dandruff. Is it normal?

updated by @ashley-walker: 01/13/15 09:50:40PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Is it still there when your hair is dry? is it dry or is it still kind of tacky feeling?

Pics would help a bit.

Are you only washing with BS, or are you rinsing it out and then doing an ACV rinse afterwards? What are your ratios of BS to water?

If it dries and is flaky, it is probably dead skin, and you may need more BS in your solution. it if it still tacky/gooey feeling, it is probably sebum, and you need to add more BS to your solution.

There is a possibility that it is left over BS if you have way too much BS in your mixture. This would also go for if you have hard water

No matter what, you should be doing the ACV rinse after your BS wash. Unless you have naturally oily skin/hair

ashley walker
@ashley-walker
11 years ago
35 posts
I use a little less than a cup of BS in a gallon, sometimes I'll do an ACV rince I haven't in a while. I don't know what kind of water I have. And it's like a tacky/gooey feeling or like a grainy mud type feeling.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

It sounds a bit like sebum. You need to be using way more BS in a gallon. The ratios should be 1/2 cup BS in every 5 cups of water. So 1 gallon is 16 cups. You should be mixing in a little over 1.5 cups of BS.

Sebum is a type of dead skin. What is happening is that the BS is starting to exfoliate your skin, but there isn't enough to pull all of the skin away. So it begins to build up over time. Sebum is tacky, and generally has a bit of a smell to it. Not always, but that is a sure sign. If you've ever have stretched ears and seen that gunk on your earring, that's sebum

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form