Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP! How many dreads should I have toget the "best dreads"?

Brianna Clement
@brianna-clement
11 years ago
2 posts
This is my second time around dreading, but its my first time doing them on myself, by myself. The first time I had two boys do them, I had 20 something and they ended out becoming 33. I had those babies for about a year and 3 months. I have 3 remaining dreads from that time still with me. So they will be 2 years on July 7th . I had to get rid of my dreads because of school issues. But now Im like eff them Im getting my babies back.
Now redreading my hair I have about 68 but Ive combined them into about 45. I have started my bottom rows on March 17 2013 with some maintenance and adding a couple more dreads throughout March 21 then took a break, and the top rows of my head are more recent, and started again with just on random days finishing up from the 30th of March to today, April 3.
So here is my issue. Im SOOOOOO flip floppy. I just want the perfect dreads, that also, I can put extensions into (as because when I combed them out last time I lost a lot of length). Like I kind want to combine 10 more into 5, but my problems is, I think that if I combine more itll be too thick, but I feel theyre too thick now with the 11 combined dreads. Buuuuut, I dont want supper thin dreads either. Like have you ever seen the pictures of those beautiful medium in thickness and long in length beautiful dreads? Like those perfect dreadlock pictures we see? I want that.
Soooo. If anyone could help me out, I don't know if I should leave the combined ones or take them out? I dont want super thin ones but Im scared with the combined might be too thick while with them not being combined they are too thin. Should I stay at 45? Go to 40? Or go back to 68? ORRR. Is there any other number out there that you think would be perfect? /: HELPPPPP.

updated by @brianna-clement: 02/14/15 03:29:42AM
matt krantzberg
@matt-krantzberg
11 years ago
20 posts
how many do you want?? I think that's a personal opinion. I personally only have like 17 dreads. and there's like 4 starting to stick together. I personally like a low amount of thick dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

comb them out dont put them in let them dread naturaly let them decide how many they want to be

your obessing over numbers and doing mainrenence u shouldnt be doing your contemplating extentions (nooo) and working on them for months

your missing the whiole point of dreads

just stop combing and let it dread seperate so they dont get too big

theres no such thing as perfect

but there is a such thing as ruined if u keep trying to force them to be perfect

let them be what they want to be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

very very bad ide under 20 and its huge mold risk

they wont be able to dry when as thick as your wrist

matt krantzberg said:

how many do you want?? I think that's a personal opinion. I personally only have like 17 dreads. and there's like 4 starting to stick together. I personally like a low amount of thick dreads.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cozmo G
@cozmo-g
11 years ago
4 posts

The idea of 'perfect dreads' is kinda...not the point. I (and everyone here probably) understand where you're coming from, but there is really no advice to give on this topic. Dreads are sort of like 'art'...there's no right or wrong way to do them. As long as they are healthy, you are okay. Do what you like with them and enjoy the journey. They will take on a life of their own, and if you just let them be, then you will learn to love them.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

locks won't look "perfect" until they are mature. Once mature, they will look like your idea of what locks should look like. The messy stage is when they look goofy,and when most people get discouraged. Don't. They will tighten up. It just takes time.

Like said before, the perfect number is up to you. Some people find the perfect number is hundreds of super thin ones. I love a few super fat ones (Like eagle said, they are a hassle to take care of, but worth it if you want them). Whatever makes you feel good is the right number. But I'd recommend you stop thinking about your locks in numbers. Think about them as you locks. Just extensions of yourself. How many of them there are, isn't the important part

matt krantzberg
@matt-krantzberg
11 years ago
20 posts
idk I started with 20something and ended with this. I fought for a while to keep them separated. but I figured it's what my mane wanted to do.if I don't have to worry about drying tell the thickness of my wrist I have some years to go. my thickest is only like 2 or 3 fingers.
Brianna Clement
@brianna-clement
11 years ago
2 posts
Alright thanks everyone :) ill take in your advice. i appreciate all of it and yeah I guess yall are right number doesnt matter at all, last time i dreaded I had 23 which endi.g being 33 and they were amazing! but how these new ones look right now, they look to me like theyll be just as amazing. With no number counting this time xP haha thank you all :) lets see how they end up :D
Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

37.2 that is the perfect number, believe it!

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
Haha, Marcellus... But don't you know? According to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," the answer is 42. :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form