Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Want to Dread my Hair

christine zientek
@christine-zientek
11 years ago
9 posts

Hello I want to dread my hair but I have some questions. First off how many inches am I going to lose when I do it? And how long before they look good. I work and am worried that I will look just messy for to long. Can anyone help me out with this.

updated by @christine-zientek: 01/13/15 09:50:28PM
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
You'll lose probably about half your length, depending in how long your hair is. The longer, the more shrinkage. BUT, there are also a ton of variables, so it's not a sure thing. As for work and being messy, pull it back. Wear a cute hat. Whatever will work for you. As long as you set your hair free as soon as you are off work so it can move around and get messier.How are you planning to start?Welcome to out little community!!
christine zientek
@christine-zientek
11 years ago
9 posts

i do not know how i am going to start. my husband wants to do it too. in my profile picture which is a few years old, my hair is that long now but his is to his shoulders. What would be the best way to start with our curly hair.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I would go natural, no starter methods, toss the combs, brushes, and conditioners. I had mine back combed and I totally regret it. With your long hair, I would expect it to be shoulder length by the time it's done shrinking. Hour hubby's, a couple inches shorter. Most curly hair lives to tangle and dread. Look at the top of the page, click on the 'dreaducation' tab, loads and loads of incredible information is to be had there. You'll learn about the best ways to wash your hair, how to separate, decorate and love your newly forming dreadlings.
christine zientek
@christine-zientek
11 years ago
9 posts

but when you do it naturally doesn't it take a while to look decent? I can not really get away with super messy looking hair for work.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well, If you want to grow beautiful, HEALTHY locks, they do take awhile, 1-2 years to reach maturity. You can get creative for when you need to work..tie them up...hats...knit a bun holder and put them in...head band....head wrap.

Please do you hair a favour and do not GET instant dreads made, they are not real dreads and are one of the most damaging thing you can do to your hair, so I don't recommend any salon.

For dreads to form, they shrink up, so that is why there is shrinkage in length. Can't be avoided. but you know what, once they are done, they start to grow very quickly. I see photos of 3 year old natural dreads, and they are long again.....Worth every step of the way.....Peace

christine zientek said:

but when you do it naturally doesn't it take a while to look decent? I can not really get away with super messy looking hair for work.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Here is a pic on my shrinkage. My finger shows where my hair began...11months 4 day

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
My hair was just a bit shorter than BarrelLady's and shrunk up above my shoulders. My dreads are just over 18 months and starting to get some length again. Shrink happens. So does messiness. What line of work are you in? There is always a way to camoflage the messies. Be creative, be funky, do what you're comfortable with. If you get messy and management says something explain that you're following your spiritual path by dreading your hair. There are letters to employers here somewhere that you can edit to your specific needs. When it becomes a spiritual reason, it's illegal for employers to fire you. Besides, honestly, not that many people are going to notice anything until your dreads are close to mature.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form