Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Samson's Thoughts

Samson
@samson
11 years ago
21 posts

Hey dreads I've been growing my hair for about eight or nine months now with no single dread formed yet. It's okay I know I am one of those dreads that is going to have to wait a long time to see progress, but that is not why I'm starting this thread today.

Now I'm growing my dreads all natural which means that there is no form of manipulation. My hair grows and dreads ( at least that's the philosophy) Now I rinse my hair everyday and wash my hair about every 3 to 4 days. My friends are telling me that I should not be putting water in my hair at all, it will dread quicker that way which I think they have a point because my hair will just knot faster. Also I wear a tam from time to time. My friend also wears a tam but NEVER takes it off because he says hair grows faster in the dark.

I know there are thousands of ways to grow dreads but it seems that people always want to correct somebody's method. Anyways this kid got me thinking about these things and I want to ask you if he's right. Should I not rinse my hair everyday and cover it with a tam? Will my dreads form faster this way? Or should I continue the way I'm going and realize that its just going to take a while.

updated by @samson: 01/13/15 09:50:20PM
Keagan R Walker
@keagan-r-walker
11 years ago
23 posts
If you started with short hair it'll take about a year or so just to grow it out and another year to start to get baby locks but my advice to you would be watch what you eat, get out in the sun as much as you can your hair loves it I don't see why it would grow faster in the dark were not pottos and it doesn't seem healthy to always be wearing a tam your hair needs to be let down out in the open where it can catch the same experience as you, think of it like this if your parents raised you in an I closed box in the dark and only took you out to wash you would you be happy? if you live by an ocean start trying to go as often just so you have time to recharge and take a dip in the salt water it really help lock your hair as well as nurture it. When it comes down to it, listen to yourself no one else can help
Keagan R Walker
@keagan-r-walker
11 years ago
23 posts
Potatos**

Keagan R Walker said:
If you started with short hair it'll take about a year or so just to grow it out and another year to start to get baby locks but my advice to you would be watch what you eat, get out in the sun as much as you can your hair loves it I don't see why it would grow faster in the dark were not pottos and it doesn't seem healthy to always be wearing a tam your hair needs to be let down out in the open where it can catch the same experience as you, think of it like this if your parents raised you in an I closed box in the dark and only took you out to wash you would you be happy? if you live by an ocean start trying to go as often just so you have time to recharge and take a dip in the salt water it really help lock your hair as well as nurture it. When it comes down to it, listen to yourself no one else can help
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Mushrooms grow in the dark, dreads do not. Hair needs to be free in the wind, wind causes knots. By your pic, your hair is short, the ideal length when it starts to dread is 6 inches. It will separate when shorter, but won't turn into dreads yet. Why do people believe the myth that dirty hair makes dreads-the opposite is true, clean hair makes dreads. If hair is dirty, pollution will stick to it, lint will stick to it, smells will stick to it, and it will have it's own smell funk. Wash 2-3 times a week.

Your process is slow because of hair length. Biotin is a pill form that can be found at your local drug store in the vitamin section for under $10. Take for 3 months, it promotes hair growth.

What are you using to wash with? If it is a regular shampoo, it may have built in conditioners. Besides your hair length, it may be what you use.

Having an extremely oily scalp will also slow down the process, do you normally have oily hair? It is okay to rinse your hair everyday, as long as it drys completely before bed, but out of curiosity, why do you?

Please listen to Soaring Eagle and his tips, you have seen his 22 year old natural locks. You can believe he did not get them from trying to grow fungus on his head

Are you using sea salt sprays. Use a spray bottle with sea salt in it and spray on hair. Leave this on for no longer than 2 hours before washing it out as it can dry the hair otherwise.

You have had patience and that is wonderful for you, much inner strength. Hang in there, let your hair grow. If you can answer the question, maybe we can help you more. Wash with? Oily scalp? Rinsing every day why?.....Peace

Samson
@samson
11 years ago
21 posts

Yeah that pic I got here is old, my hair has grown considerably. But yeah my friend is growing some other type of dreads lol I'll just continue my journey just needed to get that out of my head.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form