Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

DANDRUFF!!!

Gavin Parsons
@gavin-parsons
11 years ago
8 posts

Ok...so like many people on here suffering from the drying effects of washes we use I need help!

I have been on my dready journey for less than a year now and have been following 1/2 Cup Baking Soda, 10 Drop Tea Tree Oil, 20 Drop Rosemary, 20 Drop Lavender wash to about a gallon water. Leave this in for around 10 minutes or more. I recently moved to only cold water to try to combat this flakey takeover! For a rinse, I only had white vinegar at the start added to the same essential oils to the same large Gatorade bottle. Leave this infor about 3-5 minutes. I have done two rinses with the Apple Cider Vinegar recently but to no avail. My hair looks and feels so amazing (besides the flakey/waxyness) and I am making great progress even pulling my hair back in a pony tail for work...I understand this could slow the process but I cannot wear a Tam at work and my hair is seperating fine anyway. I have read so many posts and looked at some of the PH balances but maybe its over my head. I would love any input and advice from the dready phamily out there!

updated by @gavin-parsons: 01/13/15 09:50:20PM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

bs/acv wrecked my scalp. i tried all the combination of oils and none of it worked. i finally switched to a ph balanced shampoo and my dandruff got better but my scalp would still itch.. i then tried the dreadlock shampoo bars and my dandruff is 99% gone. they really do work. my scalp hasn't been this calm and not itchy in over a year. if your dreads are new then i would bet the locking up liquid shampoo would work just as well. good luck!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

1 Gallon of water = 16 cups of water. The baking soda ratio is 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups water. Your ratio was very weak for the BS to do it's job. The apple cider vinegar is 1-2 capfuls to 5 cups water and leave on head for less than a minute. I only do my final rinse with cold water, when I am finished everything, still shower and wash head with a normal temperature otherwise.

So, without the right ratio, your scalp is not exfoliating how it should.

Since your dreads are not mature, I am not sure if you need that many drops of essential oils yet. ...Peace

Gavin Parsons
@gavin-parsons
11 years ago
8 posts

Thanks Heather...I have been skeptical of the shampoo tothis point but I may give the soap a try. The main thing is I dont want to rub thebaby locks out ya know? The BS/ACVis nice in that its just the pour over method and it feels so good after.Do you massage your head at theroots and then let it drain down?

Heather said:

bs/acv wrecked my scalp. i tried all the combination of oils and none of it worked. i finally switched to a ph balanced shampoo and my dandruff got better but my scalp would still itch.. i then tried the dreadlock shampoo bars and my dandruff is 99% gone. they really do work. my scalp hasn't been this calm and not itchy in over a year. if your dreads are new then i would bet the locking up liquid shampoo would work just as well. good luck!

Gavin Parsons
@gavin-parsons
11 years ago
8 posts

So I was wayyyy off...Ok I will have to givethis a shot. Maybe cut the EO's back by half?? 5 cups of water seems lowbut I knownothing about this...my hairis downto the middle of my back. I love the rinse because of the way it makes my hair feel/smell but the flakes gotta go!Thank you very much for responding!!!

the Barrellady said:

1 Gallon of water = 16 cups of water. The baking soda ratio is 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups water. Your ratio was very weak for the BS to do it's job. The apple cider vinegar is 1-2 capfuls to 5 cups water and leave on head for less than a minute. I only do my final rinse with cold water, when I am finished everything, still shower and wash head with a normal temperature otherwise.

So, without the right ratio, your scalp is not exfoliating how it should.

Since your dreads are not mature, I am not sure if you need that many drops of essential oils yet. ...Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form