dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural way to make a single dread?

windingwheel
@windingwheel
11 years ago
5 posts

Hi! Hope I've posted in right section.

Looking to start my journey but I don't feel quite ready to just let it all go and wondering what is the best natural way to create a single dread at the back of the hair.

Can I tie some hair together with a hair band and just not brush that part? If so where abouts should the hair band be? root, tip, middle?

If it makes any difference my hair is shoulder length, thick and reasonably oily/well conditioned. I gave up shampoo in December and only wash with water (best thing I've ever done for my hair so far!)

Thanks

updated by @windingwheel: 01/13/15 09:50:20PM
windingwheel
@windingwheel
11 years ago
5 posts

Apologies - question no longer relevant.

I have my reasons for dreading and after spending some time reading through this site I have taken out the hair band thats been in for a few days in the hope it would form a dread.

Stopping combing and going all natural :-)

I'll try blog my progress.

Om Shanti

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Have you decided to dread all your hair naturally, or just one dread? Curiosity beholds me.

I am glad that you also found a wealth of information on this site, it has helped thousands of us :)...Peace

windingwheel
@windingwheel
11 years ago
5 posts

I was going to create one dread at the back. But have decided to let the whole lot dread naturally! Stopped combing/brushing two days ago.

It feels right if a bit scary. It's just where I am in my life at the moment. Now is the time :)

At the moment I am washing my hair with water only every morning, squeezing excess water out and then letting it dry naturally.

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

I did much the same thing as you. Originally I intended to have just a few dreads hidden at the back and then started reading this site and was inspired to let the whole lot do as it pleased ;D

You said that your hair is naturally quite oily which will make it more difficult for your knots to stay in. I'd advise you to wash it with something other than just water, maybe a couple of times a week, until you find out what works well for you. I like to use the bicarb and acv rinse system, which you will find outlined many times on this forum, twice a week with plain water in between and I find it has reduced the oiliness of my hair considerably.

Enjoy your natural journey!

windingwheel
@windingwheel
11 years ago
5 posts

Hi Patience

I think I'm going to stick with water just now though most people seem to use the bicarb/acv. Since I gave up shampoo in December (and it was and all natural shampoo I used!) The condition of my hair has been so good I never want to put anything in it ever again!

To me my hair has a nice natural oiliness - it is never 'greasy' and I think this is natural too, like dreads. I know they're going to be with me a long time so I don't mind waiting a bit longer unless there are other reasons why not using a bicarb/acv rinse or similar would actually be a bad idea?

Thanks

windingwheel
@windingwheel
11 years ago
5 posts

Also I have posted up photos from day 2 and 3. They were taken 26 hours apart and there is quite a difference!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form