Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreading whole head.

Lydia Aulozzi
@lydia-aulozzi
11 years ago
6 posts
Alright, so after a little bit of having a couple dreads I have come to the conclusion of dreading my whole head.I would like all te advice I can get, how to wash them , start them, and maintain them. Please all advice and tips and anything you can tell me!Xoxo
updated by @lydia-aulozzi: 01/13/15 09:50:13PM
Danny Parker
@danny-parker
11 years ago
27 posts

Yoo :)

Washing- you can either use Baking soda/acv, or get some shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com,wash every 2-3 days, let your hair air dry, dont rap it in a towel or go to sleep with wet hair :)

starting them is easy dont do anything :D

also same withmaintenance other thenseparatingas they start to form you will want to pull apart any locks that are tangling together unless you want them to congo up of course :)

Patience is the key ingredient

Happy dreading

Bless

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Dreadlocks form when you don't brush. But there are ways to give them a jumps start. Understand that these starter methods do not create locks. The TnR is the healthiest and least damaging starter method. Back combing is good, but very damaging. Never go to a salon, and NEVER crochet/use wax.

Washing 2-3 times a week is best for baby locks. Mature locks can be washed once a week. It's not advisable to wash less than once a week.

There's nothing you need to do to maintain them, other than separating when they begin to congo together.

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

As Baba mentioned, there is really only three ways you can start your journey without severely damaging your hair. DO NOT be sucked in by dreadhead hq and knottyboy's advertising to sell your perfect dreads as long as you buy all the chemicals and needles and slicers they sell. They dont work, they don't cause your hair to actually knot, and they will cause extreme amounts of damage.

The best way is natural/neglect/freeform. You dont do anything expect seperate. It usually takes anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 years to have mature dreads using this method. It will leave your hair the strongest, and will be a spiritual journey for you as well.

Next best, is twist and rip. You can give your dreads a big head start this way, if you are not patient enough to go the natural route. Go to the 'dreaducation' tab and it will give you a pretty good explanation of how to do it. After you create them, you just let them be (and separate as needed).

Last, is backcombing. This will damage a lot of your hair. It is done by taking a steel comb and combing in a upward motion to your head. The hair will still require about a year to mature into real 'dreadlocks'. You should not use any wax or gels with this method either. Just separate as needed.

With all of these methods, you need a 'dread-friendly', residue free shampoo. Unless the shampoo specifically says it is dread friendly, or residue free, it will have moisturizing de-tangling agents in them that will make it very difficult for any dreading progress to be made.You should wash your hair no more, and no less than 1 to 3 times a week with this kind of shampoo.

That is all the information you need to get started. Good luck!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form