dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoo help. New to the world of dreads

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
11 years ago
86 posts

Hey everyone,

I just decided to start natural dreadlocks, but I dont want to mess up so I don't know if I can use the shampoo I have at home its suave Natural Shampoo, tropical coconut it says it has vitamin E. Because I'm new to this I'm a bit iffy about using it, here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Suave-Naturals-Shampoo-Tropical-Coconut/dp/B0...

It has all the ingredients in there,

I am also planning on buying the Locking Up Liquid Dreadlocks Shampoo Dragons Blood. What is all your opinions, should I use that coconut shampoo until i order the Dragons blood one, and is that the best starter shampoo out there?

My hair is curly and its 5-6 long, hopefully shampoo won't be an issue for me to begin, if the shampoo i have at home is no good ill start the baking soda formula, if there are any recomendations for that too would be great.

Thank you all for the time

updated by @jimmy-dc: 01/13/15 09:50:04PM
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Regular shampoos such as the first one are going to have certain ingredients (sulfates?) that act as detangling agents and are, therefore, bad for people who want to dread. Honestly, the baking soda/apple cider vinegar method has always worked best for me, so I'd recommend that. It's by far the cheapest method, too (haha, just bought a box of baking soda for 57 cents!).

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I used the baking soda and ACV rinse for a year until I bought dread shampoo. Regular shampoos will leave a residue in your hair, and many of them have built in conditioners which will undo knots. If you are purchasing in the near future from Dreadlock Shampoo, then I highly recommend the Himalayan Sea Salt Spray to help lock your hair. I have the Dragons Blood and love it......Peace

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
11 years ago
86 posts

Thanks Laura, now i know that sulfate is not gonna help me get dreads

Laura Earle said:

Regular shampoos such as the first one are going to have certain ingredients (sulfates?) that act as detangling agents and are, therefore, bad for people who want to dread. Honestly, the baking soda/apple cider vinegar method has always worked best for me, so I'd recommend that. It's by far the cheapest method, too (haha, just bought a box of baking soda for 57 cents!).

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
11 years ago
86 posts

I will look more into the spray thanks for the help

the Barrellady said:

I used the baking soda and ACV rinse for a year until I bought dread shampoo. Regular shampoos will leave a residue in your hair, and many of them have built in conditioners which will undo knots. If you are purchasing in the near future from Dreadlock Shampoo, then I highly recommend the Himalayan Sea Salt Spray to help lock your hair. I have the Dragons Blood and love it......Peace

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

sulfates are not conditions. they strip the hair of oils and help the shampoo suds. most avoid sulfates because they can be quite drying for the scalp and hair. this shampoo has a bunch of other ingredients though that will condition your hair and leave residue. i would avoid it. do the bs/acv wash until you can get the locking up liquid.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form