Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread newbie please help

DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
11 years ago
48 posts
After pondering on whether or not dreads are for me i finally decided that i wanted to take the journey.. i need some honest advice on how to proceed. i went to a saloon and got the back comb method done. a guy that worked there had awesome tight dreads. they told me NOT to wash my hair for 6 months and to retwist and palm roll in my spare time..... then i found this site lol. i don't know what to do cuz every site i find says different stuff. soooo i have decided to trust the advice given to me here. please heeeeelp.
updated by @dathrill-helton: 02/14/15 04:44:54AM
DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
11 years ago
48 posts
I have gotten some tips on my page. I need to know more abt the natural process. Do i just let my hair do its thing and it will dtead automatically or will some twisting be involved eventually. sorty i don't want to do anything else wrong!! Also is it ok to sleep on it uncovered.
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

wash, separate & live. it will take care of the rest

DaThrill Helton said:

I have gotten some tips on my page. I need to know more abt the natural process. Do i just let my hair do its thing and it will dtead automatically or will some twisting be involved eventually. sorty i don't want to do anything else wrong!! Also is it ok to sleep on it uncovered.
Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

I assume you are african american or have very curly hair because of the twisting. The above response was correct. Here is a good video showing this is the case.

DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
11 years ago
48 posts
No i am white lol but i did go to a black hairdresser
Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

Well in that case twisting will do absolutely nothing for. White people don't twist. You can just leave that backcombed hair in and just let it do its thing. Thats what I did. They will look a little straighter than natural dreads, but they will still have some character. But yeah, all you need to do is wash 1-3 times a week with a 'dread-friendly' shampoo, and seperate as needed. A little sea salt water will help every once in a while too. But thats all, anything else will just damage hair and prevent progress. Good luck

DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
11 years ago
48 posts
Thank u this is very helpful. can i get resin free shampoo at walmart
TattooedLady Wendy
@tattooedlady-wendy
11 years ago
7 posts

Hey Newbie....Im right there wit ya man....Im starting fresh from a 20+ years of no dreads....and I didnt do them myself when I had them at 18yrs. old....lol....had them for about 10 yrs. +....but then let myself get sucked into corporate america and cut them all off....now Im starting all over again....lets stay in touch on our dread progress...

hippichick/Wendy

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

^ yeah if wax was used, which salons always seem to do, you need to get the wax out or your hair will not 'dread' at all. almost zero progress can be made from the day you put wax in.

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

its essentially just glues it in place. Which can look alright at first, but you once its taken out the dreads will just look like they did the first day.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form