Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The back of my head -- it refuseth to dread.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

:(

Why?

I mean, there are a few dreadlets near the nape of my neck, but they're completely covered in a layer of loose hair. [I'm > 7 months into the journey, if that means anything here]

Not losing sleep over it or anything, just wondering.

!

Speaking of sleep, I do have *one* theory as to why my hair's doing this, but it seems a little far-fetched to me.

I sleep on my side. Well, both sides. All night, every night. There's NO WAY I can sleep on my back or stomach; I've tried AND IT DOESN'T WORK IT JUST FEELS ALL WEIRD AND WRONG AND BLUH. Seems like if I slept on my back more, there would be more knotting on the back of my head.

Any other side-sleepers having this problem? any back-sleepers have hair that knotted up crazy-fast in the back?

updated by @laura-earle: 02/03/18 12:47:41PM
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
I'm a total side-sleeper, haha! The left side especially! So my left side's hair is the shortest, then the right, then the middle/back of my hair has a couple dreads that only have a few loops and are close to their original length... Oh well, lol, everything in it's own time...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

not far fetched at all thats exactly why

it;; catch up eventualy tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

yup. It's not far fetched. And it is the reason why. I have the same thing going on but on the right side of my head. I'm a back and/or leftie sleeper so the right side of my head is substantially less mature than the rest of my hair.

I'm starting to think we should call neglect dreads "Pillow Compaction Dreadlocks." It seems like sleeping causes the most locking. Well, that and the shower head as you wash.

Up until last month my hair looked goofier than shit because of one side of my head being so fluffy as compared to the other side. You know what I did? I tucked it behind my ear. Or I braided it. now it's not so bad and it's locking up gradually. It's just a patience game, sweety. It'll happen. And when it does, whoa momma! Watch out!

Tia
@tia
11 years ago
24 posts

I'm a side sleeper and I have had the same problem. It took over a year before the back slowly started up. I'm over a year and a half in and I still have some loose hair back there, but it's just doing it's thing and now the parts that are dreading up are giving me problems with wanting to congo with one another. It's always the same ol answer... patience :/

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

thats not farfetched at all! thats probably the reason.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Maybe if I wrapped my head in pillows at night...ugh, yeah, you guys are right. Patience. Something I'm not very good at.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

I'm a right side and back sleeper and it took my hair a good year to even begin to knot up in the back like the sides. i have no idea why it took so long. i guess your hair will just knot up whenever the hell it feels like it:)

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

i don't think that sleeping at the backs could make it dread...

the back of my hair is all dreaded [it dreaded at 7 months], and the sides aren't [i sleep on the sides, and it looks like sleeping at the sides doesn't work at all]

are your hair at the back at least sectioned?

you can try sleeping with a tam and see how it affects the dreading there.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I sleep on my sides or my back, and the back dreaded the quickest. The front of my head is still completely undreaded and I'm a year and a half into the journey lol. It all happens at different rates. But also, the nape of the neck and the sides, where the hair is softer and shorter, are always gonna take longer to dread, or always stay loose.

updated by @tara-c: 05/30/15 11:57:05AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form