Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Coping with others?

deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

Seeing that I'll be doing my dreads by the neglect method, my hair's going to look crazy for a few months and that's not a good thing when you work at Walmart! I already have a low self-esteem so I kinda want you guys's opinions on how you dealtwith thejudgmental society we have.

I can already imagine clients being like "oh, didn't had time to brush your hair?" "having a rough day?" or whatever lol

updated by @deathwish: 01/13/15 09:49:00PM
Ashley :)
@ashley
11 years ago
3 posts

I work at Walmart as well (3rd shift but still haha) Although I didn't do the neglect method, mine are still kinda young and crazy...Most of the people love it, and of course I do get weird looks and lots of questions, but I really wouldn't worry about what other people think. Just tell them that you are starting your dreadlock journey!! Some will probably be really interested, like I actually have a couple co-workers that kinda want me to help them start dreads as well! Others will probably be weirded out, but fuck em lol If they don't like them oh well, I'm not doing it for them or anyone else, I'm doing it for me, and they're probably just really closed-minded and people that I don't want to be associated with anyway. Just be confident with yourself and your dreads :)

Heather Feather
@heather-feather
11 years ago
21 posts

is it possible to find a new job? I imagine malwort can't be good for the soul or self-esteem..

Anna Molly
@anna-molly
11 years ago
19 posts

I can relate with weird stares. I live in a hick town and going to the gas station this morning was a little annoying for me. However, I do not have low self esteem. I used to...I used to care what everyone thought about me and I would even "mind read" and start assuming what they were thinking. Honestly, you really shouldn't care. They aren't perfect either. Part of becoming a dreadhead in my opinion is excepting who you are, becoming closer to nature and natural things. Being a caring and compassionate individual. With that being said, you must also learn to except that not everyone in the world is going to appreciate that or be sensitive to you. You have to learn to develop a thick skin and let it roll right off you. As long as you are happy with yourself it shouldn't matter what the people think of you. And I have found, if you make eye contact and smile you usually get a better response than when you shy away. Be confident. There is only one you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

find humor in the ignorance and laugh at the stupidity

look around walmart 1/2 the regular customers qualify as walmartians

they are some freaky weirdos

besides dreading naturaly will increase your self esteem you;ll shake your messy hair with pride

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

Everyone is right, I think I should learn to love myself more and stop worrying about others's opinions. A dreadlock journey is something beautiful and different everyday which I will appreciate.

Mikasaurus you are so right! It frustrates me so bad!

The Hippie Circle
@the-hippie-circle
11 years ago
34 posts
A sense of humor makes the otherwise thin skinned impervious to pricks.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

So you think customers may be judgmental??? Here is a sampling of some of Walmart Shoppers:

Feel better now?

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

On a sincere note. dreading will boost your self esteem over time, they will make you stronger within to accept who you are. That is the great thing about growing dreads instead of instant dreads, your strength grows with them, it is truly an amazing journey to experience.

Appearance is only the icing on the cake, the cake itself is the best part, and that is what is within us. Some of the most beautiful people in this world are the ones who have beauty within, when you have a warm heart, a friendly smile and a good soul, beauty shines.

Self esteem grows with age, believe me. You will be fine.

Peace

deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

Thanks you guys, :D

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form