Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Top of my head looks awful!

Ricky Renegade
@ricky-renegade
11 years ago
3 posts

Hey all, I twist and ripped my first dread almosat a year ago, and it feels and looks great! I TnRed two more a few months later and those are starting to look good too! My concern is about the rest of my head, three days ago, I went to a salon to have my dreads done, the salon was very professional (One Luv Salon) and the owner who did my dreads really knows his stuff. He used the crochet method and they look pretty good for only being a few days old. Well at least the dreads themselves do, though they feel like I could pull them apart if I tried, I figure thats just because of how young they are. What really has me concerned is how bad the top of my head looks. Ill post pictures, theres a ton of random hairs and it just looks like a gross mess. Ive been dry shamppoing them, and keeping a shower cap on when I take showers as to not get them wet.

Any help is appreciated!

updated by @ricky-renegade: 02/14/15 02:41:19AM
Francisco Gonzalez
@francisco-gonzalez
11 years ago
4 posts
Read through the forums and educate yourself. Crochet is awful from what I've been hearing. It puts holes in your dreads causing weak points eventually makin them come apart.dry shampoo might be bad as well. Dreaducate yo self! Water is good for your hair btw. Read read read.
Ricky Renegade
@ricky-renegade
11 years ago
3 posts

I guess I could have done a better job dreaducating myself beforehand. With my initial three dreads I got them wet, normal shampooed, the hair guy told me not to get them wet for a month and told me about dry shampoo. Any advice on how to remedy all this?

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
The remedy is stay away from that salon, don't ever crochet again and wash wash wash!! There is not a single thing wrong with getting your hair wet. It's good for it! How else are you going to get your hair and scalp clean? A dry shampoo doesn't do that. Dry shampoos make your hair smell a bit fresh for a little while. They dry out your hair because they are alcohol based. That's about it. Dude, wash your hair. It's as simple as that. No salon, no crochet, no wax, no comb, no fingering. Just wash and let it be.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sorry to hear you got taken in by a salon.$$$ If the owner who did your dreads really knows his stuff, then why do they feel like you can pull them apart??? Crochet hooks break the hairs into little pieces everytime that hook goes through, that breaks the long strands inside and outside the dread/section. That is why they feel like you can pull them apart. Crochet hooks and wax are the two worst things for dreads.

Do yourself a favor and do not use dry shampoo for your dreads or cover them with a cap to keep them dry when you shower, they need to get wet and clean. I think by now your scalp needs a huge baking soda cleanse. When you do it you will find a lot of dead skin washing off your scalp.

It will take about 6 months or so to feel a difference in the crocheted dreads, they will take time to repair if you keep them healthy and clean.

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no salon knows what they are doing if they use crochet they are destroying your dsreads crochets horivble 1 of the worse methods

wash your dreads dont keep them dry thats suilly all you neded to do is wash

salons are the worse mistake u can make

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dude i looked at tyour pictures

the salon butchered you

call get your money back

any salon that says not to wet or wash is a complete idiot

they crochetted the hell out of them they are very severely damaged

yoir scalp looks a mess

the sections are too big

how many dreads do u have total?

12?

they will be huge when they recover

i hope no wax was used at least

now wash

with a dread shampoo like www.dreadlockshampoo.com use aloe or jojoba to loosen up the crochet tighteness'

if theres under 20 dreads comb them out and start over

go natural aka neglect

u got severe damage already so when u comb out if u got to yu will lose handfulls of hair

give your scalp time to recover if u dint go natural wait 2 weeks to let the scalp settle down then use the natural sections that forem and tnr

try to get 30-40 or more dreads 20 or less will be pretty huge

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

telling you to not wash your hair isnt professional its borderline criminal negigence

he didnt know his stuff if he recomends crochet over less damaging methods like natural or tnr

--
Ricky Renegade
@ricky-renegade
11 years ago
3 posts

No offense taken at all! I really appreciate any advise!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Good Luck & keep us posted

Ricky Renegade said:

No offense taken at all! I really appreciate any advise!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form