dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Toddler dreads

Eb2u
@eb2u
11 years ago
5 posts

Hello,

I have a 16 month old son, whose hair is currently in twist. I did them myself. I want them to lock but I'm not sure if i should just take him to a salon or just keep them the way they are. Also I want to know what product would be good to use for him.

updated by @eb2u: 02/14/15 11:13:35AM
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I would not take him to a salon. I would let nature do it. A salon could not do any good, in my opinion.

peace.

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

In my opinion, I won't take him to the salon too or even dread his hair with out his consent. I mean like - he/she might be my child but she/he will have her/his own will in time. So I will let my child decide onwhethershe/he wants to have dreads or not, and if my child will - I will encourage her/him to go natural. I hope you get my point. Peace :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stay away fromn salons

if u go to a salon hed be bald b4 he but to age 16

just leave the twists in..let then dread if they loosen and fall oiit ..thats ok

no products at all except if his hairs too dry ..lil aloe verya straight from the plant (nothing friom the store) or jojoba oil

salons are the worse mistake u can make

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I completely agree with Larra. Kids under about 10 don't have the cognitive ability to make thought out decisions on their own. Some can as young as 8. But 10 is average. Until they can choose for themselves, you are only imposing your will on them. And they are not capable of knowing how to take care of them properly. He may only be 16 months, now, but when he gets old enough to go about on his own, he'll probably be getting dirty and rolling around in the mud like kids do. You'll have to either keep them from getting dirty regularly, or washing them every day which will cause a ton of problems when they are mature (which they will be once he gets to that stage).

Ok, I've said my peace.

NEVER go to a salon. I won't say all, but more than the majority of salons destroy locks. Beauty schools tend to not teach about lock at all. If they do it's for fashion, not for health. They use wax, gels, creams, interlocking, crochet hooks, felting needles, and a whole slew of other damaging processes to create the illusion of locks. I was told to apply wax 2-3 times a week and not wash for 2 months. When I finally did, 1/2 my hair had rotted away and it just melted off my scalp under the water pressure. The twists will probably only hold until you wash his hair. they aren't meant to hold longer than that. They, like all starter methods, only create a rough blueprint of where his sections will form. NEVER retwist them. That puts too much torque on the scalp and rips hair out causing weak roots and traction alopeica. That is a condition that leads directly to baldness. You don't want a toddler to start going any balder than they are already

Eb2u
@eb2u
11 years ago
5 posts

Thank you i appreciate this.....his father insist on a salon....because he has them..i just thought about just cutting his hair..

I want to start dreads on my own head...but I have the whole chemical thing going on in my hair. so i kno i would have to start fresh. bald...I also just wanted to get the whole background and reasoning behind dreads...educated myself before I do it.

Baba Fats said:

I completely agree with Larra. Kids under about 10 don't have the cognitive ability to make thought out decisions on their own. Some can as young as 8. But 10 is average. Until they can choose for themselves, you are only imposing your will on them. And they are not capable of knowing how to take care of them properly. He may only be 16 months, now, but when he gets old enough to go about on his own, he'll probably be getting dirty and rolling around in the mud like kids do. You'll have to either keep them from getting dirty regularly, or washing them every day which will cause a ton of problems when they are mature (which they will be once he gets to that stage).

Ok, I've said my peace.

NEVER go to a salon. I won't say all, but more than the majority of salons destroy locks. Beauty schools tend to not teach about lock at all. If they do it's for fashion, not for health. They use wax, gels, creams, interlocking, crochet hooks, felting needles, and a whole slew of other damaging processes to create the illusion of locks. I was told to apply wax 2-3 times a week and not wash for 2 months. When I finally did, 1/2 my hair had rotted away and it just melted off my scalp under the water pressure. The twists will probably only hold until you wash his hair. they aren't meant to hold longer than that. They, like all starter methods, only create a rough blueprint of where his sections will form. NEVER retwist them. That puts too much torque on the scalp and rips hair out causing weak roots and traction alopeica. That is a condition that leads directly to baldness. You don't want a toddler to start going any balder than they are already

Eb2u
@eb2u
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks ppl make salon seem like the safest place to go.

soaring eagle said:

stay away fromn salons

if u go to a salon hed be bald b4 he but to age 16

just leave the twists in..let then dread if they loosen and fall oiit ..thats ok

no products at all except if his hairs too dry ..lil aloe verya straight from the plant (nothing friom the store) or jojoba oil

salons are the worse mistake u can make

Eb2u
@eb2u
11 years ago
5 posts

I cant even encourage him to go natural myself my head is probably filled with all types chemicals...

Larra Juab said:

In my opinion, I won't take him to the salon too or even dread his hair with out his consent. I mean like - he/she might be my child but she/he will have her/his own will in time. So I will let my child decide onwhethershe/he wants to have dreads or not, and if my child will - I will encourage her/him to go natural. I hope you get my point. Peace :)

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Babies and toddlers are not able to choose anything for themselves, our little one is vegetarian because we are, when he is old enough he can choose for himself, it is the same with hair, and clothes, etc. You cant wait until they are old enough before you do anything, otherwise what would they learn, or eat or wear? You can wait until he is old enough if YOU want, that is YOUR choice... Eb2u did not ask your opinion about this choice. When he is old enough to make a decision he can cut them off, until then, it is up to the parents to choose. For instance our boy is veg because we believe that to be best for him, that is how it is with all things concerning your little ones.

Baba Fats said:

Ok, I've said my peace.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Of course. I said my peace because I feel strongly about it. I also understand that people will do what they feel is right for their kids. That is why I also explained the damage salons do. I don't want you or EB2u to not lock their kids hair because I say so. So I also tried to give details of what a salon will do. If you or EB2u wants to lock their kids hair, I just hope it's done in a healthy way.
If you raise your kids vegetarian, and make sure they get all of the vitamins, minerals, and other good stuff they need, then props to you. I don't have kids as of yet, but from my younger cousins, friends kids, and my wife's younger family, I know it can be hard to get kids to eat healthy. If you can do it, why not. Hopefully they'll stick with it. They could get really sick that first time they rebel and eat a cheeseburger when they're out with their friends.
I only expressed my opinion because 16 months is really young, and locking a child's hair isn't about making there bodies healthier they way a certain diet does

Plus, what does it matter what your kid wears? Their choice of clothing and hair style should be up to them to decide, not you. I'd let my kid wear their halloween costume every day if they wanted. A certain diet will make them healthier. A certain pair of pants wont.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form