Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP HELP PLEASE! SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY!

Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts
ok so heres the thing...i didnt do mmuch research on dreads before i started and kinda just ran with what i got.so i started off with sections putting rubber bands at the rootthen i just back combed from top to bottom...with a regular plastic comb..........with some i twisted and ripped but ehh not too muchno waxes no nothing...my hair got super oily so i washed it i still have a few to do left..i was just really wondering...how bad did i mess up?can i fix what i did?will my hair still dread??&& most importantly... what can i use for it to be more neat?can wax be used on the outside of the it??SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY!
updated by @isabel-alvez: 02/14/15 09:37:43AM
Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts

OK 1, NEVER USE WAX! If you used it on the outside you'd work it inside just by applying it! Wax IS BAD and should NEVER be used! And it's a pain in the ass to even get out!

2. No matter how you started your dreads it takes time. Up to a yr or more!

3. Wash with Baking Soda, rinse well, (oh, this should be done with warm/cool water) the followed by Apple Cider Vinegar then rinse well. Do a cold rinse for your final. The colder the better. Or get some shampoo from www.dreadlockshampoo.com .

4. Dreads are not meant to be neat and tidy. They will be a mess for months until mature!

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Carefully remove the rubber bands as soon as you can. Then take your time and read "dreaducation". You can fix it. But for now take out the bands, have a nice wash if your head feels greasy (the formula above is great, but don't stress if you need to wash once with another shampoo while you learn the ropes) - they may fall apart, but that's ok, and otherwise let them be. Use pure 100% aloe if you need to tame it, but better not to put anything on them and just let them be frizzy for a while.
James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

Embrace the beautiful chaos that is dreading.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax evrer none nowhere near yoiur dreads nothing should be usded tomake them neat just let them dread u didnt screw up u just disd alot of useless unesacary work

take the rubber bands out right away

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts

thanks a million to all of you for the help! :)

the rubber bands were only used for the sectioning, i took them out as soon as i finished

NO WAX, got it.

i appreciate the dread wash formula! i will use it no doubt.

but does it matter how often i wash my hair?

what do you all suggest from experience?

and thanks for the advice! i will embrace the chaos indeed! lol

also, is it as bad to have rubber bands at the ends as it is at the roots? or are those ok? cause i have those in still...

btw will it really take up to a year for them to fully mature? or does it vary for everyone?

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
The more you wash, the better. 2 or 3 times a week is sufficient.I suggest taking the bands out, they get sucked into your dreads then melt rot and get moldy. You do not need bands to keep sections. Beads are a healthy alternative :]A yr for some, 7 months for others. Generally 7-12 months.
Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts

great! thank you!

and im taking out the rubber bands now thanks again lol

and beads?! i love beads! that sounds perfect, any kind of beads in particular?

btw your dreads look dope!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

anything with a hole that fits just avoid anything with edgges that snag

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isabel Alvez
@isabel-alvez
11 years ago
8 posts