Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

soap for dreads

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi all. I've always used a Nag Champa soap bar I purchase from this fantastic retro shop I visit that also sells incense sticks etc. I love washing my skin with it and never felt residue that other soaps seem to have when washing. In the beginning of my journey I would use the bar on my dreads once a month, otherwise I always use baking soda.

Well, tonight I was sitting in the tub, waiting my 20 minutes for the BS to do its charm. Usually I have a tea in there, a smoke (only time I smoke in the house, I have a window in the bathroom) and quiet time reading. but tonight my ritual was changed, and I decided to wash my body with the soap while I was bathing in the tub instead of when I shower out the baking soda. I was amazed to see that floating on the surface of the water was soap scum, scum that I did not even know my $8 soap had. In the past 11 months I had to use anti-residue shampoo twice to clean my dreads, and now I know why, I thought perhaps it was my well water.

My dreadie friends, if you do not get guaranteed dread soap, like from dreadlockshampoo.com, then I recommend you do the bath test & see if it leaves the residue. If you see that layer of soap scum floating on top of the water, then never, ever use it on your dreads. Hope this helps you.

updated by @the-barrellady: 11/11/15 10:09:49AM
steven5
@steven5
11 years ago
10 posts

Okay so I know there are many different "dread" soaps out there, yet there is only one soap I will ever use. Songhai black soap. Not saying these other soaps aren't good or succeed in their intended result, but I'm passionately devoted to this soap and it's simplicity. I'm the unknown spokesman and face of Songhai. If you've never used it give it a try. Liquid for the dreads and bar or paste for the body. Once you go Songhai black (soap), you'll never go back.

Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts

BUT,how is it with hard water?

goldie locks said:

Okay so I know there are many different "dread" soaps out there, yet there is only one soap I will ever use. Songhai black soap. Not saying these other soaps aren't good or succeed in their intended result, but I'm passionately devoted to this soap and it's simplicity. I'm the unknown spokesman and face of Songhai. If you've never used it give it a try. Liquid for the dreads and bar or paste for the body. Once you go Songhai black (soap), you'll never go back.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

soap + hard water = soap scum:/

Doogie said:

BUT,how is it with hard water?

goldie locks said:

steven5
@steven5
11 years ago
10 posts

I don't have hard water so I guess I can't give you a definitive answer, but as far as i know any soap in hard water would cause soap scum - like Heather said. That aside I would still give it a try.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You know what, I ran out of salt for my water softener, so perhaps my water was too hard the day I had a bath with it. I know have my salt in the softener again and will try it and let you all know how it goes. It will be interesting to see the the hardness of the water made the difference. Peace all

safiyah
@sugaplum
11 years ago
20 posts

Oh wow interesting. I've always used my african black soap wihout any problems. Now I do a mud wash and it rinses right out. No build-up whatsoever.

Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

Interesting! I look forward to seeing what the results are like the second time.

the Barrellady said:

You know what, I ran out of salt for my water softener, so perhaps my water was too hard the day I had a bath with it. I know have my salt in the softener again and will try it and let you all know how it goes. It will be interesting to see the the hardness of the water made the difference. Peace all

Rocquel Bergeron
@rocquel-bergeron
11 years ago
4 posts
I love the Nag soap!
Mariah Mae Stone
@mariah-mae-stone
11 years ago
6 posts

I use Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. The liquid seems to work better than the bars because it can deep cleanse into the dreads. It works really well for me and it's made from 100% natural ingredients, and it's based on hemp oil. It makes my dreads smell fantastic :)

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form