Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is it okay to bleach my hair?

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

I 'd like to know if it would stop the dreading process if I bleached my hair? I started the natural method one month ago.. I read that dreads needed to be mature to be dyed but I'm not sure.. Can someone help me please? :)

updated by @kim-brisebois: 07/24/20 06:37:33AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hmmm. I would think that it would be hard to get the bleaching solution out of the core of mature dreads.

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

But if my dreads arent mature.. Is it going to untie? I only have a few baby dreads..

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I have no experience dying dreads, others on here who have will answer you I am sure. My concern would be with the conditioner that is included with the kit. After you bleach, you have to use the conditioner, and using that would reverse your month long process. I would think that the knots etc. would come undone.

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

I didn't think about that xD But maybe I could avoid using the conditioner and use something else?

Kim Brisebois
@kim-brisebois
11 years ago
13 posts

Thank you, nick! I think that's what I'll do.

Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
11 years ago
72 posts

Bleaching super duper dries out your hair. I do not think at all it will make them come undone. The only thing that might possibly is having to wash them super good to get it all out. But if you really think you want to bleach I would say do it now because it gets harder to do the more mature they are they are. It is harder to cover them all and takes A LOT of solution.

Depending on what kind of bleach you get there might not even be conditioner (like salon stuff) but if you do buy boxed then just don't use the conditioner. I bleached my dreads for 4 years with my last set of dreads and I am bleaching my new set which are about to turn a year.

So anyway I think if anything it will help your hair lock up because of how much it dries them out. But just try to make sure you get it all out when you wash it. Not always an easy task. It takes me a waaaaaay long time to get dye out but bleach seems to be a little quicker. Now if you were to have mature dreads you would just try to coat the outside because it IS almost impossible to get it all out especially if you squish it into them. And that is why it is better to bleach now because you can get a more even color before they get too mature.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form