Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

starting my journey, a couple of questions

Luke Passalinqua
@luke-passalinqua
11 years ago
8 posts

hello all! just started my journey last sunday the 10th was the last time i brushed. actually kind of decided to go for it after a few hours of consideration. ive thought about it before, but actually doing it was pretty spur of the moment. randomly saw some pictures, and started doing research, and just decided to go for it.

anyway first i just want to say im glad i found this site because it seems like theres a ton of good info here and alot of it is what convinced me to go for it, because before i thought it would be a hassle and very complicated but everything on this site says the opposite.

i just had a few small questions though. im coming from the shampoo every day lifestyle, so the oils in my hair/scalp rebuild very quickly, and in large quantity. im trying totransitionto doing the bs/acv every few days, and my hair is currently super greasy. been roughly a day and a half-2 days. did the wash in the evening, and i woke up the next morning and my hair was surprisingly non greasy. i think i made the mistake of rinsing my hair in the morning with hot water which i think may have helped bring alot of oils from the scalp to the strands. anyone have any opinions on this? imthinkingits either that, or my head is overcompensating for not washing, or a combination.

also, ive read a bunch of different threads about the bs acv washing, some say you must use the acv afterword, and some dont even mention it, and only mention the baking soda. i have european/thin/relatively straight hair, so i was thinking if using the baking soda only, it would help more than if i conditioned with the acv after. also im using the sea salt, separately from the baking soda. ive seen some people say to mix the salt and baking soda. which would be the best way?

i think its going to be somewhat difficult/longer for me, since like i said i have very oily fine straight hair, havent brushed in over a week and my hair is still pretty untangled. i know to be patient, but i figured since sometimes ive had trouble brushing knots out, my hair wouldnt be so managable when left go haha. btw i have hair length of just below shoulder length. thanks!!

updated by @luke-passalinqua: 01/13/15 09:46:53PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Luke. You think your scalp is over compensating because you are not washing, but you are...the baking soda you use is washing your hair, it is just a touchless wash that you leave on for 20 minutes before rinsing well. The apple cider vinegar balances out the ph in your hair after using the BS., it does condition it, not like store bought conditioners, just use 1 capful to 5 cups water and leave on for 1 minute, rinse well. Your hair will section first, then start all the little knots, loops etc, have patience my dear, you are off to a great start

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

washing daily maDE U LOYT MOREE OILY USING ACV IS PRETTY MANDATORY GFOR MOST BUT WITH EXCESSIVLY PILY HAIR YOIR ALREDY TOO ACIDIC SO SKIP THE ACV AND IT WILL GET LESS OILY AS IT GETS LESS ACIDIC

ok so what id do

hot wash with baking soda (sea salt can be used either way) hot removes oils iopens pores and ciuticles

but then follow the bs wash with a cold rinse that closes pores (so less oil leakage) and cuticles (sealing in oils so the hair dont dry oiut triggering oil production)

in a week or 2 try extending it 1 more day

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Luke Passalinqua
@luke-passalinqua
11 years ago
8 posts
Ok I'll try it out without the acv. Actually I used white vinegar cuz it's all I had. Also I should've made it more clear, it probably sounds pretty ambiguous from my first post but I went straight from every day wash to the baking soda etc and not every day. So it's been a few days which probably adds to the oil but my next wash is tomorrow so I'll try a new strategy then.Thanks for the replies!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form